Stuck Glowplug

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there has been tons of threads on this and I have read a lot of 'em. Just had a question that I didn't see really answered. My #7 cylinder, (yep the one under the downpipe) is the only one I cant get out. (All Autolites that have come out of the other 7 :rolleyes:) I started backing it out and after a couple of turns it starts getting hard. Question is will the tips swell up all the way up their shank, or do they typically just swell on the end?

I'm thinking for it to be swelled and causing it to not want to come free of the threads, it would have to be swelled up the shank and not just on the tip, right?

Hoping it's just hard carbon, got it soaking now. Am gonna roll that cylinder to TDC tonight and work on it some more. I can get on it pretty good with a flex joint and extension coming under the turbo from the drivers side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats about what you need to do to get it out safely but... What are you soaking in with.... Aerokroil is the best and its made by Kano Labs. Next best is PB Blaster. A warm engine will make this penatrant soak in easier too. Get the engine wam. Spray some on it and let it cool down. The cooling of the metal will suck in down into the threads. If its still stiff to turn try wetting the plug threads and then tightening and untightening the plug. This creates heat in the threads and it will suck down the oil so its working it in. The cast iron head will coll things down qiuckly too so this tightening and loosening can be done many times. The problem is your trying to get something out as the penatrant is trying to get down on the threads. Up and down on the bolt type threads many times works best. Back the plug out.. Wet it down. Screw it back in. Do it again. you will see the plug getting more and more out of the head... Once all the threads are out if the end is swollen just squirt oil that you are useing down into the hole between the plug and the head. It will loosen the carbon if thats whats holding it in the head. I hope you only have some carbon holding this up. Maybe some carbon removal spray will eat away the carbon too. Mercury outboards used to have some carbon cleaner that they used to spray in the cylinders to remove the builtup carbon. I do not know if thats still available or not.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, and just to follow up I finally got it out. I had let it soak with Seafoams Deep Creep lube all night & today, with the plug backed out to where it was in a kind of easy turn spot, thinkin that with less load on the threads, would be more of a chance for the penentrating lube to work down.

Then, tonight before I got too ******* it I set the piston on that cyl at TDC and then filled the cavity with brake clean (thinner than lube) and started working it back and forth. It finally just started freewheelin in either direction (this was after I had put more force on it turning than what I liked) and when it started turning either direction I panicked. Thought for sure I had twisted it off and was just turning the nut part...cookoo I was already pullin the turbo in my mind.....:rolleyes:

Finally (and after asking the good Lord for some help) I climbed back up there and looked and couldnt beleive my eyes. The reason it was freewheelin either direction was cuz it was all the way backed out, dummy me!!

So, I thanked the good Lord again :hail and put the new plug in. Whew!

FYI, this last one was a Beru. Really hard one to get to and the only one that wasnt an Autolite. Makes me think whoever put the Autolites in was to lazy to change that one, so I probably was really carboned up being it had been in longer.... Just thinking

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This was your lucky day thats for sure.... Your probably correct in that the po didn't feel like changing that plug or whoever he had do the work... I had someone do that to me when I first got my truck. That crap head installed three differant plugs...:mad:cookoo:eek::angel: Autilites, champions and some other off brand....