Strange electrical problem

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had some pretty heavy rain here in the Mojave today. Some water must have seeped in somewhere because my horn came on all on its own - was probably stuck on for nearly 15 minute - my neighbors must love me! I had to pull the negative battery cable to get it to stop. I guess I'll let things dry out a bit and then start hunting the short. Any thoughts on this? Planning a big camping trip mid June, so I need to get all these little bugs worked out.

Thanks in advance, Brian

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Something's back feeding that relay. Anything else would have come back when you plugged the battery back in. Look for a short between the output wire to the horn, and the signal wire from the steering wheel.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I wouldn't replace it. If it's suspect, just swap it with another relay, like the trailer battery charge.

When relays fail stuck on, it's the contacts stuck, and disconnecting the battery would not fix it. This is why I don't think it's the relay itself, unless it's shorting internally.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roland_Jenkins said:
Replace the horn relay.
where's the relay on a Furd? haven't found one in these trucks-cuss I smoked a horn pad once when I pounded it hard to take my agressions out from a four wheeler cutting me off. I knew I was in trouble when I smelled that dreaded electrical smoke smell......:eek: Good thing was it gave me the excuse to put in my tilt column.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online