Stock turbo vs banks

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything Gary said.
That's being said if you still have the factory pump and the wastegate plugged your not likely to see that much boost. At least I don't. WG plugged factory pump turned up about 6 flats or so. My boost tops out around 11-12psi or so. Egts havent gone above 1000 degrees. That's hooked to a 25ft gooseneck with a 3,500lb tractor on the trailer.
But it's just whatever is more convenient for what you're doing.
That's the path I chose because I'm going to stud the heads and put a heavy clutch in and yada yada the list goes on haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Csmyj

Reaction score
Thanks a lot might just look at adjusting it like you said. If you got pics that be great.

Caution when plugging the wastegate. Now you have no way but the throttle peddle to limit the boost made. Heres some information on the operation of a wastegate. Normally they are held closed by the spring pressure in the can. Then as the turbo builds pressure the tube sends the pressure to act on the spring thru a rubber diaphragm. This is why limits are set for bost made. Banks limits their turbos to about 9.5 lbs. We can adjust that to most anything we want by adjusting more spring pressure by turning the lock nut on the shaft but only after the grinding is done to the lock. Its usually a small tack weld is all the lock is. Most will limit the boost to 12 or 13 lbs without head studs. Also boosting higher than 15 lbs will only cause more heated air being pushed into the intake. Sometimes that can be as high as 300+ degrees.. Not a good thing at all either. An intercooler really helps cool the intake air to a manageable tmp.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caution when plugging the wastegate. Now you have no way but the throttle peddle to limit the boost made. Heres some information on the operation of a wastegate. Normally they are held closed by the spring pressure in the can. Then as the turbo builds pressure the tube sends the pressure to act on the spring thru a rubber diaphragm. This is why limits are set for bost made. Banks limits their turbos to about 9.5 lbs. We can adjust that to most anything we want by adjusting more spring pressure by turning the lock nut on the shaft but only after the grinding is done to the lock. Its usually a small tack weld is all the lock is. Most will limit the boost to 12 or 13 lbs without head studs. Also boosting higher than 15 lbs will only cause more heated air being pushed into the intake. Sometimes that can be as high as 300+ degrees.. Not a good thing at all either. An intercooler really helps cool the intake air to a manageable tmp.
What is the boost range for the Banks Sidewinder if you had a good flowing inter cooler? My combo makes more than 15 psi, my gauge is done at 15 psi So,maybe like 20 if I held the throttle wide open long enough, but hell no I don't go there period, if I have to lay into the throttle I always have to lift on the throttle and keep boost in the 12/13 psi range for working the motor while towing. I guess if I fooled around with the wastegate adjustment I can limit my psi to 13psi, that way I wont melt my engine down like it is possible right now on my truck.

What I don't understand with out intercooler the pressure maxed at 12psi it was like that it seemed for years. now? it is boost happy now since the cooler but I am not pushing it any harder than really 13psi the engine has plenty good torque to ask for more.
I can idle down the road fully loaded once up to speed. When the GV is working ;Really

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well the cooler more dense air is creating more energy, therefore expending more exhaust gas.
No, I don't really know. Lol just a wag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fwiw
my old rig 88 250 c6 410 banks non gated,13+ psi,mels pump, russ' matched bb's
,, would kick the *** of my new 93 ats 410 zf5 gated at 7 psi 3"downpipe stock everything else,less than 40k on the clock,
7 psi at 20 mph, nuthin left up top,,,,wistles nice tho?!?
the old truck never lost power! wish I still had it!!!
may go to a non gated unit ???
the new truck is stock and will kick *** on mpg tho!!!

weldertim

Reaction score
Is there a particular type of intercooler you like? I just picked up an ATS setup with a garret turbo with wastegate. I'd love to cool that air.

-Tim