Stock Turbo only adds 30HP?????

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I have seen that the stock IDI 7.3 is 160 and w/turbo 190. Does a turbo really only add 30 HP?

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I got this information on the Factory stamp sticker on each engine. My neighbor has an IDI N-A and I have a Turbo model.

His sticker said 160 HP

My factory sticker advertised 190 HP

I believe the sticker is on the drivers side Valve cover if I remember right.

No... Thats the short answer. Where did you get this information?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering your from the "show me" state, I can appreciate you reading the valve cover label. Depending on the altitude the truck was to be sold at, ratings vary by 20 or so horses. *** for tat, a turbo IDI was 10HP more than an equivelent NA model, but that was because of pump calibration and the flattened downpipe.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all marketing. Remember that is just a sticker on a motor. The PSD was about to come out and who would buy it if the "old" motor made the same or even more power than the new. They flattened the down pipe and kept the pump at a conservative setting to get the 190 number.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Yeah, I was gonna say. Because I've got a 150HP 6.2 GMC Detroit in my suburban and this Ford 7.3 Turbo kills that thing. It takes off like a rocket and no problem at all up hills.

So I'm doubtful that this is really only 190HP. There's no black smoke right now even on hard accelerations. I'm assuming I can turn up the fuel quite a bit. Also, you mentioned a flattened down pipe. Is that the pipe from the turbo exhaust to the main pipes? Should I change that out and to what?

It's all marketing. Remember that is just a sticker on a motor. The PSD was about to come out and who would buy it if the "old" motor made the same or even more power than the new. They flattened the down pipe and kept the pump at a conservative setting to get the 190 number.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, the down pipe is the pipe that comes right out of the turbo and attaches to the exhaust. Ford flattened it for ease of installation. You can buy an upgraded exhaust housing/3" downpipe for your truck from ATS. The full kit (full exhaust and everything) runs around $850 delivered. And before you turn your pump up, cause it sounds like your going to do it, get a pyromter installed so you dont burn a hole in your pistons.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Is there a good thread with instructions on the pyro and boost gauge? I know nothing about installing one. Also, I don't know much about safe levels for this engine.