Stock '94 ATS turbo questions...

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a turbo off a '94 stock IDI, that I understand is an ATS but says "Ford" on the housing.

This came off an engine that dropped a valve, and ate a piston. My concern is that there may have been bits that found their way out into the exhaust and through the turbo. I didn't see any chunks in the intake, but, I'm worrried about slapping this unit on my new engine.

There WAS a ton of oil in the intake, but it may have come up through the blowby tube, as coolant had gone into the oil and raised the level way up.

The turbo spins more or less freely, and has no grinding or play,the blades look ok, but I can't see up into the exhaust side. it does have oil in the intake side.

My question is, is there any way to test these units, or is there something I can look for to tell if it's ok, without actually tearing the whole thing apart.

Zigg :)

sassyrel

Reaction score
there will be a SLIGHT up and down movement in the shaft--it "floats" on oil pressure--and very little end play--but some---any oil to speak of on the exhauset side???? maenings the turbo seal leaking???? probably hard to tell----

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If chunks of metal made it through the exhaust turbine there would be damage as fast as that thing spins. If it isn't slinging oil I'd clean it up, flush the oil passages and slap it on.

OR

Simply rebuild it for peace of mind, really isn't much to a turbocharger and they don't cost much to rebuild either.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zigg, since the concern is on the exhaust side, there wouldn't be any risk in just trying it, provided that you don't mind pulling it off if there is a problem. We don't know the engine speed or conditions when the valve went in, so I think there is a good chance that nothing substaintial happened to that turbo, especially if the swallowed valve made an alternate exit.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My turbo (same as oem) always has a lot of oil in the intake. It is from the CDR valve plumbing going back into the pipe between the filter and the turbo.

I think it will be good!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey zigg, I bought a turbo setup off a wrecking yard truck that sucked a valve and it looked fine from the outside but the exhaust wheel was chewed inside and no damage showing from the end, get a bright light and shine it in there or take the hot housing off, 6 bolts and some penetrating oil , no gaskets or anything. ;Sweet
I just rebuilt 2 turbos and they have some shaft play but no end play, they will run fine with lots of slop as long as you can't get the wheels to touch the housings.
I am putting a T4 60-1 wheel on the compressor to see if I can pick up some low end boost. I will start new thread with pics and stuff

BTW the ATS and stock turbo is called a TO4H, good info to have

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zigg, We don't know the engine speed or conditions when the valve went in, so I think there is a good chance that nothing substaintial happened to that turbo, especially if the swallowed valve made an alternate exit.

Well, the swallowed exhaust valve was down there in the oil pan with the piston from that cylinder(#6) but before the parts made it down past the crank, they managed to punch the side of the cylinder wall out into the coolant passage, and then the coolant went down into the oil, and raised the oil till it was completely full and then got pushed up through the CDR into the turbo. The whole thing was a complete mess!!

I've flushed the turbo oil passages out, and it spins, without any obvious binding, but I'm still gonna be a bit nervous about putting it onto my new engine before I'm convinced it's ok.

I think I'll get the engine running first and then decide where to go with the turbo.

Thanks

Zigg :)

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed some of you saying to rebiuild it is is not that hard! I need to rebiuld mine any help you would like to give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Mine is a stock ATS turbo. I would rather do it myself if I can I dont like paying someone to do what i can.cookoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online