Stinky Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I dunno, when I was N/A with straight pipes, people didnt stay too long in my passenger side blind spot. I could also hear the pitch change when the exhaust reverberated off the offending car.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill disagree on the loud pipes saves life's, many times have ive heard a motorcycle but couldnt see it in my mirrors,

If it's behind ya who cares.....unless you drive backwards....like oh say on backwards inside out day!

I'm ok with the pipes....I just hate it when they roll on the throttle all the time being kewl...like IID10T's with fart cans and huge ass stacks and *****...

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL i agree about the people who go flying by romping the throttle all the time, its annoying, but sometimes they arent behind you, with a lifted long bed crew cab its easy to loose a motorcycle around you, at least hearing the pipes you know they are there

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Wow guys!
Why don't you burn, scrap and melt his truck?
Then kick his dog in the balls, call his mom every name under the sun and slap his wife/ gf?
You have never done that or anything silly with your truck? Wow have a cookie!
Its not like its a dumb cummins that does it nonstop. ONE TIME! And now you want to kick him in the balls?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I accidentally did it once.
I was test driving a 02 crew cab f350. It already had a edge programmer, so I cranked it up, when I got out of seeing/hearing distance of the car lot I opened er up. Low and behold, so guy right by the pipe with his window down.
It was funny, but I felt like a ****.

Blue67chero, what kind of fuel are you running?
And how mant miles are on your injectors?

Sounds like you may have a dribbling injector, if you're running straight diesel.

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get any of the friends I ride with to understand that there is no statistical, or documented proof, or official studies that support the notion that "loud pipes save lives". It seems to be a religious thing with them to defend ridiculous behavior with a bumper sticker. It IS fun, and my old BSA is a bit on the loud side with stock pipes, but i love my quiet honda and the fact that I am not deaf after a 1200 mile day. I find I keep my friends better if I pick my battles and wait for them to arrive in a few days.
I admit I was amused by the smoke I was making hauling a trailer adding to a gross weight of almost 17000 Lbs up the Grapevine, but I prefer it when visible fuel inefficiency goes down.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
around here, if you don't roll coal, the kids think you either have to sit down to *** or your deesul ain't a deesul.
but i get better mpg and don't look like an idiot doing it.
well i may look like an idiot but not cause of that.

and i'm with you guys on the loud pipes. i live near a big intersection and every weekend warrior loves to come down
to the lights in 1st or second rolling the throttle back and blipping it between shifts.
anyone seen that episode of south park? haha

Reaction score
I can't get any of the friends I ride with to understand that there is no statistical, or documented proof, or official studies that support the notion that "loud pipes save lives".

How do you take statistics on when an accident DOESN'T happen?

Mike

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had my truck smoke alot on occasion. sometimes up a steep hill under heavy acceleration it will if im not careful. and when my fuel filters were clogged it smoked alot. I try to keep an eye on it, but its easy to make it smoke if you aren't paying attention.

$#!t happens. i don't worry about it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have LIGHT smoke going uphill under power/load, however I don't GIVE smoke when at a stoplight or any other place and feed it into a vehicle or person...

However much I want to to the iron man cyclists here whom won't get out of the way...I WON"T, I'll just wait patiently till I get my train horns and a asskicking PA and blast em! LOL

Seriously, ti's just making diesel look bad...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well these trucks tend to smoke more than newer trucks unfortunately. I do get the head shake sometimes even when I am not heavy on the throttle. It doesn't bother me if others are upset about the smoke situation. Its a diesel and it will smoke a little. I do try and keep the foot light on the throttle as much as I can when other vehicles are around. But....If someone is so desperate to make a point that my truck smokes too much by flipping me off or driving erratically (which has happened), I have no problem giving them a puff of smoke when passing them. Train horns, PA's, etc. is just another from of disturbance in my opinion. Using a train horn while driving can cause a dangerous situation in which other drivers become so startled by the noise that loosing control becomes a higher probability of happening. I know this because I used to know a guy who turned on his train horn while going down the highway and caused an accident because an elderly driver panicked by the noise.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the fact that these trucks smoke more than new ones. it is the fact that he made the choice to smoke the cars out around him for his entertainment only.

if people can't accept the fact that these old mech diesel are going to smoke when they are working then that is just too bad for them.

i have tried over and over to see how blowing black smoke is cool and have yet to discover the reason.

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you take statistics on when an accident DOESN'T happen?
Mike

You can't. There are detailed studies made of actual documented and investigated motorcycle accidents such as the aptly named "Hurt Report", and many others by others including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that take all these variables into account. The only thing loud pipes appear to be good for is dragsters, stroking egos, and startling the people you already passed. If loud pipes were effective they would point them forward for safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.