Still hard starting, WHY!!

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
there are two types of diesel compression testors. the more expensive one seems to be better and itsacrazyazn said it was a good kit.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just started the truck, like 40ish outside. It only cranked maybe 5 times before it started on the first try. The gp controller that was on it must have been shot, now i want i gear reduction starter becouse mine is definatly weak. Comparing it to other trucks starting i listened to on youtube, mines a slowcranker.. Someone hook me up with a good link for a good gear reduction starter at a fair price.... Thanks everyone fore the help

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just started the truck, like 40ish outside. It only cranked maybe 5 times before it started on the first try. The gp controller that was on it must have been shot, now i want i gear reduction starter becouse mine is definatly weak. Comparing it to other trucks starting i listened to on youtube, mines a slowcranker.. Someone hook me up with a good link for a good gear reduction starter at a fair price.... Thanks everyone fore the help

lrt us know how she starts in the morning;Sweet

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will do, fingers crossed for a good start.. Any chance i can get am american made starter, hate buying off shore junk..

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so 122.00 shipped from the link above, anyone know of other companies that make them. Or are these the best ones out there.. thanks

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That means you are getting fuel just not making enough heat to ignite said fuel. Possibilities are low compression, poor gp system or low cranking speed.
Cranking speed should be a min. of 150-175 RPM, which means at least 2.5 rounds per second. It should be really hard to count the engine turning over.

Glow plug resistance is less than 1 ohm when measured with an ohm meter across the plug directly. Otherwise the controller will short cycle the plugs.
Voltage drop across the wire to the controller should be less than .5v. Voltage drop across the relay while activated should be less than .5v.

Compression should be 350psi per cylinder at least. 400 would be a better number with our high compression engines. (I think someone on here said their fresh engine had over 500 psi cranking)

You learn something new every time you come to this forum !!!! ;Sweet I now know my starter must be getting a little week,,,, she's not spinning her that fast. Maybe i better get the spare on her. Thank You for posting this!! ;Sweet

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.. Someone hook me up with a good link for a good gear reduction starter at a fair price.... Thanks everyone fore the help

i hope i dont sound like an a$$ in saying this, but:
i've posted it twice already, but here they are again: DB Electrical and this auction on Ebay. click the underlined blue words to follow the links. these are the two best prices i found. if you want a gear reduction starter, its going to have been made outside the USA. the best you can do for keeping your money in the country is to buy from an american seller. the ebay auction that i posted the link to has an estimated delivery of Nov. 8th to 15th which means they are shipping from the US. since they dont list the state they are in, only the city, i cant say for sure if you would have to pay taxes on it, but chances are that you wouldnt.

my original post with links:
i lucked out when i got my gear reduction starter. there was a used one on ebay with an opening bid of $30 and shipping of $15. i placed a high bid of $50 since it was used, and nobody else bid on it so i got it for $45 including shipping. you will definately be amazed at the difference in cranking speed.

i did a little digging for you and came up with a few choices on where to get one. the place i kept seeing in the posts was DB Electrical. they currently have them for $122.00 with free fedex shipping. i also came up with an ebay auction that has a pretty good price.

this auction's seller has a really good rating and the price is slightly better at $116.70 with free shipping.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
That means you are getting fuel just not making enough heat to ignite said fuel. Possibilities are low compression, poor gp system or low cranking speed.
Cranking speed should be a min. of 150-175 RPM, which means at least 2.5 rounds per second. It should be really hard to count the engine turning over.

Glow plug resistance is less than 1 ohm when measured with an ohm meter across the plug directly. Otherwise the controller will short cycle the plugs.
Voltage drop across the wire to the controller should be less than .5v. Voltage drop across the relay while activated should be less than .5v.

Compression should be 350psi per cylinder at least. 400 would be a better number with our high compression engines. (I think someone on here said their fresh engine had over 500 psi cranking)

I learned with my truck that lack of smoke while cranking doesnt always mean lack of fuel. If you dont have enough compression to get that fuel hot enough to smoke, you wont have any smoke at the tailpipe.

I would say if you have puffing smoke at the pipe you need more heat. Glows or cranking speed.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope i dont sound like an a$$ in saying this, but:
i've posted it twice already, but here they are again: DB Electrical and this auction on Ebay. click the underlined blue words to follow the links. these are the two best prices i found. if you want a gear reduction starter, its going to have been made outside the USA. the best you can do for keeping your money in the country is to buy from an american seller. the ebay auction that i posted the link to has an estimated delivery of Nov. 8th to 15th which means they are shipping from the US. since they dont list the state they are in, only the city, i cant say for sure if you would have to pay taxes on it, but chances are that you wouldnt.

my original post with links:

My bad, i'm good at missing the odvious... Thanks for the links.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did she start today, or did i miss it??????

Did'nt start it.. Had to work late, take a nap and work again, now i'm gonna try to get some more sleep.. I'll try it tomarrow when i get home from work.. thanks

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to swap the starter after the sun pops up, and try to start it up.. I'm going to gamble that the starter from my parts truck is in good shape, since it is already here and only take 15 minutes to install.. If it turns out to be another dud, i'm probly going to buy a new one from the link "David Lee" posted..

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok starter swap done, the starter that came off looked way differant than what i put on.. here's a pic, bottom smaller starter was on the truck. The big one was from the parts rig and is what i just put on... Going to start it up soon, figured id let the neibors sleep in a bit today...LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online