Still hard starting, WHY!!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today i cold started it, 30 degree's outside. Anyway it cranked for 5 scounds, stopped to cool the starter and then cranked another 4-5 before it kicked over. I matted the throttle to the floor before cranking it thou, could that have caused the hard start or am i still at square one.. The only differances between todays start and thursday's is it was 10-15 degree's warmer and i did'nt hit the throttle last time untill i was already cranking it. last time it started in about 4-5 seconds..

sootman73

Reaction score
You can hold the starter on for longer than 5 seconds. That starter wont barely be warm after 5 seconds LOL

But with new plugs, controller, fuel system and now a starter I would be thinking compression sorry to tell ya....

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That dont sound good at all, thing runs so good thou. I geuss the only way to know for sure is a compression test. I'll have to try to get a tester.... Anyone think maybe there's something wrong with the ip causing the hard start's.. Ill try starting it in the morning without touching the pedal, i know from before i put the starter on i could caox a better start out of it by feathering the pedal after i started cranking...

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i'm still wondering if my gp's are working 100%, posted a new thread about that.. Also wondering about the timing, i set it by ear. Runs realy good, especaily after it's been running 30-45 secounds where it realy levels out.. Could the timing be to far advanced maybe, or will timing not effewct starting at all.. I know it was posted earlier that is doesnt play a huge factor in starting...

Also wondering where can i get a decant cheap compression tester that works on these idi's.
Thanks for all the help guy's:D.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good news i think, i just started it about 20 minutes ago. It's about 30 degree's outside, i hit the gp's 3 times while my uncle was listening and feeling the tops of the gp's "he's old school" but after getting 3 hits of the gp's it started up great only cranked for 4-5 seconds and kicked on the first try.. We are thinking the gp's are not getting enough power causeing them to not heat up all the way..

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the harness connector at pass fender. Those 2 big wires should not have a slip connection in them. Solves 80% of the calls I get in the winter.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well yesterday i replaced the gp relay and i am now getting the clicking niose i was looking for.. Sarted pretty good, has'nt started in 3 days and it cranked 3-4 secounds before kicking over and i did'nt touch the throttle at all.. But it was 45 degree's ouside, so thats still not an ideal start, i'm starting to think i mite have air intrusion yet becouse when it kicks over after sitting a good 24hrs plus, it will puff a ploom of white smoke at first before clearing up.

Here's my question for today, could an air leak in the return line system cause a hard start or am i just looking for air leak's in the feed system. Also how is the best way to check for an air leak??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online