still can't start

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been without my truck for a month or 2 now because it won't start. the weather finaly started to warm up a bit and i had time to work on it so here is what i did. i replaced 2 of my battery clamps with some new ones from autozone. i also took my batteries to les schwab and had them test them and charge them so my batteries are good now. still my truck wont start. all i hear is a click when the starter motor should spin. so, is my starter motor dead? i think it is.

also, when i put my batteries back in today i noticed that there is a wire that runs from i think the starter relay on the passenger fender all the way around the front to the drivers fender and connects to something. and i noticed that this wire looks like it has been burned through and only has a couple of wires that actually make it all the way to the driver side. anybody have any ideas and think i should replace the wire. what does it do? it kinda looks like it might be some sort of hack job for something.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I have no idea what the long wire would be for. To start engine try jumping the starter solenoid on pax fender with screw driver or pliers or a piece of wire, batt side to top small terminal. Starter spin, yes/no? No=pull starter have it tested/replace. OkieGringo

pafixitman

Reaction score
Long wire sounds like it goes to the under hood fuse panel. I know in my truck it is a yellow wire from the starter relay on the pass fender to the fuse box on the driver fender.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Tyler,
Have you pulled the cables off the starter and cleaned them up a bit?
I just dropped the starter back into the Beef over the weekend and was struggling with the same issue. I pulled the large cable back off the starter and sanded it up and put it back on and TADA! she fired right up. ;Sweet
Funny thing was, the starter had only been off for a month. Sitting outside in the elements was enought to crud things up just enought to make things frustrating.
If not, as Okie suggests, test that starter next. ;Sweet
The stray wire there, what color?

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my wire is red. i'll take a look and let you know if it connects to the fuse pannel. the weather turned nasty tonight is windy and rainy, so i don't know when i'll get the next opportunity to crawl under there and mess with the cables.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick update for the record...

i replaced my starter yesterday. i took the old one to autozone and had them tested it. it failed every test. right off i could hear that the bearings were bad. so, i got the mitsubishi gear reduction unit for 189 and put that in. so, my truck starts again! also, that red wire i mentioned above is for my fog lights. anyways, thats it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online