Sticking valve or heat soak

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok what you guys think heat soak of something sticking in the IP. My truck will start fine cold/cooled off and if you start it within 15mins or so after its warmed up but any longer and nothing. Just crank and crank but will start immediately if you pull start it. I've let it set 2hrs before and still no crank. Batteries are good starter is good oversized battery cables and turns over plenty fast. I disabled the gp controller and hit it with ether and still nothing. I've tried the cool water on ip and that didn't help either. It doesn't do it every time and if I run it heavy on 2 stroke oil in fuel it seems to do it less. My ip isn't that old and just has about 25k miles now. Have I missed anything to check. What's your thoughts?

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I agree it's fuel related and agree it's in with the injection pump. What I'm trying to determine is if it's a sticking metering valve not supplying fuel or heat soak. I'd really rather not spend the $600 or so for another IP right now if I could limp along or cure the issue running a fuel additive.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could the FSS be closing under the voltage drop of cranking, or some other issue? It's a long shot, but try jumping it straight to batt

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
FSS could even be cracked.
Once warm, crack opens up. Make sure you hear it click.

Try the Ole filter full of atf , run a few seconds to get it in the pump, and let it sit overnight trick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might check for air in the system mine was leaking down from the IP inlet pipe it would get hot and leak down. Weird thing was I park it at night start up just fine in the morning.

On my IP, fuel pump, and injectors was all new the only way I found it was when I was checking my transmission fluid I smelled raw diesel then started looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any raw fuel smells?

Could be air intrusion from leaking return line caps...

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am far from experienced but have went thru the Armageddon and back with my truck on fuel. Have you tried cracking all of the injector lines to see any pressure/fuel coming out ? If you do it, be sure to remove the small wire on the passenger fendor solenoid and turn it over from there. I had a bad blockage in one of my lines and found it by doing this, after several spinning intervals (letting starter cool off) i noticed no fuel coming out of 2 lines. My truck had set in a field for 3-4 years too but this helped me diagnose it as a rookie. Needless to say, along with the blockage, the ip was fkd so i replaced it. I could not afford the BETTER one so got mine for $3-350 i think on my commercial account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online