Sticking parking brake cable question

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, last winter I had to replace my Passenger side parking brake cable and wouldn't you know it, I forgot to replace the drivers side when I had warm weather and now it's sticking...

I crawled under there and was able to push it back and release the tension. It looks like the drivers side brakes are badly in need of adjustment.

Is it possible that my brakes being out of adjustment too far could cause the parking brake not to release? Like not enough spring pressure to pull the shoes back?

I'm pretty sure that I just need a new cable but the thought crossed my mind and I was curious.

Really I just don't want to fix it in the driveway. Wouldn't you know the garage was empty until last night... Now I can't move the car that's in it. Ugh.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 86 I figure that the worn shoes were not able to release so I did a needed brake job all 4 corners but the park brake would still hang up every once and a while so I crawled under and sprayed the cable with some pb blaster and ran it a few times and it will now release I nee to adjust it now it's k nda soft and won't hold on some steeper parki g spots

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@chillman88 I did mine 3 years ago and it still working good I think the cables get wet and hold moisture and road grime and hang up by spraying with a liberal amount it not only loosens it up but helps protect it and I know oil holds dust but the benefit has out weighed the cost so far in my case

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brakes were out of adjustment in one of my Idis the parking brake was to the floor and didn't like releasing. I tightened up the brake adjustment from the backing plate and they work and release much better. My 85 c30 6.5 the cable likes to hang up some times I've been oiling them and when it sticks up i go in reverse then slam the brakes while holding the parking release they usually release

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that was last winter you replaced that parking cable? Seems like a couple of months ago we were chatting about that... time flys

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that was last winter you replaced that parking cable? Seems like a couple of months ago we were chatting about that... time flys

All I know is it was snowing when I replaced it lol! Yeah it was last winter. Time does fly. I knew I should have just done them both....

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted it once on someone's thread. There is a Ford service bulletin about rerouting the cables so they don't bind. I don't have access to it right now.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are ridiculously cheap. I also did one and not both and paid for it later, I feel your pain!

Sounds like the lube trick will help till you're ready to swap it out.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the diagram handy...
You must be registered for see images attach

That would probably help tremendously! I noticed this one looks like it's getting pinched and little. Thanks!

I have a new one on order for what it's worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online