Steering/Front end issue has me puzzled on my '93 F250 4x4

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm seeking some OB wisdom on an issue I'm having with my '93. This issue ONLY occurs after the truck has been driven for a little while and has had time for everything to be warmed up and even then it ONLY occurs when I'm turning the wheels slightly, if I turn them very sharp at all it doesn't do it. And it's only noticeable when I'm going real slow, if I'm driving down the road at speed and need to turn the wheels slightly to negotiate a curve, I don't notice it. What its doing is kinda hard to describe. It puts me in mind of turning the wheels on blacktop when it's locked in 4x4. It'll kinda make a popping/grinding kind of noise and you can feel it. I know the hubs are not locked in causing this because when it had the auto hubs in it, it did this along with some other issues such as grinding/vibrating at about 45mph or above. I discovered that the auto hubs were not disengaging so I replaced them with new Warn manual hubs. The new hubs cured the grinding/vibration while driving at 45 or above but it still has this issue when turning the wheels slightly but only under the conditions I described above. When I say turn the wheels slightly, to give you an idea of what I mean, it would be like if you're setting in a drive thru line at a restaurant and have to keep your wheels turned just a little bit. I have also replaced all of the hub bearings and seals on both sides as well. It has a Dana 50 front end. As far as I know the u-joints in the axle shafts are the originals from the factory. The only other steering issue that I've noticed is every once in a while if I have the wheels turned really sharp, like all the way to the left or right, the steering wheel will want to "buck" the other direction for just a split second. It doesn't do this all the time, in fact it does it very rarely. Do I have a steering box issue, a axle shaft u-joint issue, or another issue that I haven't thought of?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm seeking some OB wisdom on an issue I'm having with my '93. This issue ONLY occurs after the truck has been driven for a little while and has had time for everything to be warmed up and even then it ONLY occurs when I'm turning the wheels slightly, if I turn them very sharp at all it doesn't do it. And it's only noticeable when I'm going real slow, if I'm driving down the road at speed and need to turn the wheels slightly to negotiate a curve, I don't notice it. What its doing is kinda hard to describe. It puts me in mind of turning the wheels on blacktop when it's locked in 4x4. It'll kinda make a popping/grinding kind of noise and you can feel it. I know the hubs are not locked in causing this because when it had the auto hubs in it, it did this along with some other issues such as grinding/vibrating at about 45mph or above. I discovered that the auto hubs were not disengaging so I replaced them with new Warn manual hubs. The new hubs cured the grinding/vibration while driving at 45 or above but it still has this issue when turning the wheels slightly but only under the conditions I described above. When I say turn the wheels slightly, to give you an idea of what I mean, it would be like if you're setting in a drive thru line at a restaurant and have to keep your wheels turned just a little bit. I have also replaced all of the hub bearings and seals on both sides as well. It has a Dana 50 front end. As far as I know the u-joints in the axle shafts are the originals from the factory. The only other steering issue that I've noticed is every once in a while if I have the wheels turned really sharp, like all the way to the left or right, the steering wheel will want to "buck" the other direction for just a split second. It doesn't do this all the time, in fact it does it very rarely. Do I have a steering box issue, a axle shaft u-joint issue, or another issue that I haven't thought of?

What you are describing is a tight U joint on the stub/main drive axle.

I'd strongly suggest pulling both sides and doing all 3 U joints in the TTB front end, that way they are done! Do one ....few months later same issue...***

Thus for the cost of the 3 ujoints that are involved do em all and gitter dun!

Bucking is that U joint binding causing the hop same with the other descriptions.

JM2CW but I'm pretty sure of it this time.

Al

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was leaning towards the 20 year old u-joints but the steering wheel bucking like that occasionally made me want to rule out the steering box.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was leaning towards the 20 year old u-joints but the steering wheel bucking like that occasionally made me want to rule out the steering box.

Well lets look at this in a different way...

3 U joints bout oh say 65 bucks...and you know then they are good.~

Steering box Red Head style 265 bucks...and find problem still exists....ouch..

I'd start with u Joints cheap and after 20 years...ya need new ones! Then box if persists...its the harsh angle and binding u joint that is releasing hard causing that bucking...bind release bind release...that's going to break something if it continues BTW

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Yes, that is a frozen cup or cups on your outer u-joints. Simple fix.