Steering Column Electrical

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I ran into a grounding issue with my column and was needing some help in determining how it grounds, or how to ground it better.

My horn works in only one spot when I am turning the wheel, and also only when the wheel is locked and the plate is resting against the pin. So my question is, what is the path to ground the rest of the time? This might also solve my mystery cruise control problem if I can get it working again!

Thanks!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Everyone should put this in your favorites. http://search.ebscohost.com/ Its free for use. Just think how intelligent you can be now.

User ID--Bedford -------- Password--Library

There is loads of info there, all makes and years of vehicles. Just "CLICKY" on Auto Repair.

Administrators should put this as a STICKY in all of the forums.

you could check ^^^^ for a wiring diagram. if you can't find one i will get one tomorrow at school if it will help with your issue. just let me know.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran into a grounding issue with my column and was needing some help in determining how it grounds, or how to ground it better.

My horn works in only one spot when I am turning the wheel, and also only when the wheel is locked and the plate is resting against the pin. So my question is, what is the path to ground the rest of the time? This might also solve my mystery cruise control problem if I can get it working again!

Thanks!

Helps to know the year of the truck...tilt or no tilt, cruise no cruise intermittent wipers or not etc....

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Thanks, I could not find a diagram. I guess a little info could help out.....It is a 1989 non tilt column in a 1985 truck. It has cruise, but that is not working right now either - I am wondering if this ground issue is part of the problem with that too.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Thanks, I could not find a diagram. I guess a little info could help out.....It is a 1989 non tilt column in a 1985 truck. It has cruise, but that is not working right now either - I am wondering if this ground issue is part of the problem with that too.

i will see what i can find.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Just a little update here.....It was a ground problem with the column. In Ford's infinite poor wiring decisions, they use a little pin that rotates in the cam cancelling collar. For some reason, mine was making a poor contact and losing the ground. I modified the pin and made it longer. I have a working horn AND I even have cruise control now.

Just thought I would put it out there in case anyone else is having horn/cruise control issues, check the column ground!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a little update here.....It was a ground problem with the column. In Ford's infinite poor wiring decisions, they use a little pin that rotates in the cam cancelling collar. For some reason, mine was making a poor contact and losing the ground. I modified the pin and made it longer. I have a working horn AND I even have cruise control now.

Just thought I would put it out there in case anyone else is having horn/cruise control issues, check the column ground!

Are you talking about the lil spring loaded pin? Pics would be ideal...:sly

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I sure am! The part that makes contact with the ground ring is about the size of a needle point or so, maybe a hair bigger! I have a pic or 2 I will try to put up later.