Steel bumpers

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am unimpressed with my 85s factory bumper. In looks it makes my truck look like it has a weak chin. On practicality I live on a ranch chances of my front end impacting a cow at some point in its life is a 100% due to them not moving quick enough out od the way. I will be building a steel bumper at some point but my question is has anyone any information on what a steel bumper will do in a high speed crash? People claim the truck may crumple behind the bumper but I'm not sure. Any stories or theories?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Your frame will get tweaked, but time. So instead of bumper bender being a fixable repair, to a totaled vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My moms 1980 Ford LTD got rear ended at pretty high speed by a 1990ish Chevy Blazer.

Her car had steel bumpers. The Blazer didn’t.

The Blazer was completely totaled. It looked like they ran it into a brick wall.

The LTD had a slightly pushed down bumper, a dented truck, a broken tail light or two and a couple letters missing from “Ford”.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now that would have been cool if the r and the d would have fallen off. That way it would have been telling the Chevy to FO!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about a tweaked frame, it might be worth adding some cross-bracing, so it can handle a good collision without twisting.

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a great idea, are there specific spots that are more vulnerable to tweaking?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest that the biggest danger to tweaking (other than the big-butt thing) is having the bumper too stiff on the outsides. My bumper is C channel (actually light stair stringer) - lots of beef in the center but I purposely left the outsides "weak". A prius would not bend it but if i slam a pole it will collapse. I have a bunch of pics posted in a similar topic somewhere here...

You probably want a bush bar also if you are going to be herding cows ;)