Starting Questions

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I spent some time working on the ford Saturday and made some progress. I got everything buttoned up and ready to go I think. One problem is I didnt have any good batteries so I had to try by pull starting.

anyways.. I couldnt get it to pop off. I did see a small fuel leak coming from a cap in the back but none others leaked. I did hook up a battery but No lights would come on so I guess it was completely dead (tried to charge it and re-filled cells.). So my question is I guess, will it run with a dead battery?? I am almost positive I did last time I ran it.

Thanks,
-Lance

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they need some juice. But I could be wrong. It will cause the charging system to work its ass off.

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure without the proper voltage the fuel stop solenoid won't open.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay Thats kind of what I was thinking... but, How was fuel getting to the injector caps? Was the fuel pump pumping fuel through the IP but not at the pressure to open up the injectors?

Thanks,
-Lance

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel solenoid was energized if you got fuel. Better charge the batteries or you'll trash the alternator, they are not made to charge dead batteries.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check each cell on the battery too, if they were dry too long they may not take a good charge even with putting water in them..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fuel shutoff solenoid in the injection pump requires at least 7 volts to open. Once thats open you will have fuel to the injectors but not untill then. What you saw leaking is from the returns. Not much to do with supply. The truth about the alternaters not being good to "run your engine on"... Thats so true. The "normal" design of any alternater is to replentish what the starter uses and.... To run all the other acessarys when the engine is running. They do not like to charge a dead battery.... Asking them to do so can land you dead on the side of the road needing batteries and an alternater... Now if you had a huge alternater from an ambulance (Lechi Nevile comes to mind) just maybe you could charge a battery. If your batteries are dead or missing you will never get any power out of an alternater. They need power to excite the field so they can convert the 120 volts ac power to 12 volts dc power. I'll bet many here didn't know that any alternater??? makes 120 volts of ac power....:angel::D

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow so there is my answer. Battery was not up to 7 volts on charger even. Much less sitting there. Well I know realize I shouldnt do that to the alternator!! Thanks, I will keep yall posted and try to have my dad put one in this week.

-Lance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online