Starting problems

gilend

Reaction score
Hey all, so I have a 1990 Ford F-350, 7.3 IDI, Hypermax Turbo. I am new to diesels, so my problem is as you can guess is starting, I tried to start it this morning, the wait to start light, stays on for 8-10 seconds then goes off like normal, but I do not hear my glow plug relay activate, the click, click, click, usally there are like 8 clicks, I only here 1 and that is about 10 seconds after the wait to start light goes off. Side note, I locked my keys in the truck last night :mad:, with the keys in the iginition in the on postion. Could this have burned out my controller? They were locked in there about 30 minutes before I could get back in the truck, I also locked myself out of my house at the same time, cookoo, I know, I know, great way to start the weekend. Anyway, it cranks, my battereis are fully charged, just charged them last night, tested all my glow plugs this morning, they are all good, I have fuel, any ideas? I have not checked my starter or altenator, is there a way to check these without yarding them out of the truck? Thanks alot for any ideas, there is so much info on this site and great people too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Find the engine wireing harness plug on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Pull it apart. The glow plug controller uses teo wire to feed it the amps and voltage. They are the two yellow wires side by side in the end of this plug. The get resistance in them from corrosion and that causes more amps to flow. that in turn heats up the plastic plug. Then it melts sometimes causing a electrical fire under the hood. If there is any melted plug get some heavy lugs and some 4 or 6 gauge speaker wire from any good audio shop. Run the new line directly to the controller to the fender solenoid. You can install a 200 amp circut breaker if you want. I did not and have no issues since. Its best to have the line protected by a breaker....

gilend

Reaction score
Yes there is melted plastic, I will have to re run the wire, is that what is causing the truck not to start, there is still a connection, thanks for replying.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well my best wild ass guess (WAG) is the controller is not getting enough voltage and amps for the system to operate properly. They need about 200 or so amps to feed the system. Be very careful around this high amperage from the fender solenoid connection to the controller. Probably best to connect the new line to the controller first and then to the battery terminal on the fender solenoid. If you try to start the engine before you fix this line watch the exhaust tail pipe. If white smoke comes out during cranking its fuel that wont lite off. Post back when you run the new line. I bet you fire right up with the new amount of amps and voltage getting to the controller.

gilend

Reaction score
Well my best wild ass guess (WAG) is the controller is not getting enough voltage and amps for the system to operate properly. They need about 200 or so amps to feed the system. Be very careful around this high amperage from the fender solenoid connection to the controller. Probably best to connect the new line to the controller first and then to the battery terminal on the fender solenoid. If you try to start the engine before you fix this line watch the exhaust tail pipe. If white smoke comes out during cranking its fuel that wont lite off. Post back when you run the new line. I bet you fire right up with the new amount of amps and voltage getting to the controller.

So I just need to re run two new cables, from the controller to the fender solenoid, but I should hook up the the controller before I hook it up at the fender solenoid, and just bi pass, the engine wire harness. Thanks Man I really apperciate it. I did go out this morning it fired right up, strange. But I know I still need to re run thoose cables if anything to prevent a possiable engine fire.:thumbsup:

gilend

Reaction score
So I just need to re run two new cables, from the controller to the fender solenoid, but I should hook up the the controller before I hook it up at the fender solenoid, and just bi pass, the engine wire harness. Thanks Man I really apperciate it. I did go out this morning it fired right up, strange. But I know I still need to re run thoose cables if anything to prevent a possiable engine fire.:thumbsup:

Ran new wires and it fired right up thanks man, you rock, I can get back on the road.;Sweet