Starting on a hill

scathecat123

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am considering installing a return line kit on my for this reason. My truck is suffering from hard to start syndrome. It'll fire then die. After a bit of cranking(and some more cranking) it will start and run fine. However if I park on a hill so that the front on my truck is downhill it starts just fine.

Any opinions and/or theories appreciated thanks

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Did you notice the fuel level in the tanks when it was hard starting and when on the hill? Other than that you need to do the clear line diagnosis to see if and were you are getting air.

scathecat123

Reaction score
As far as how much fuel I had? It will act the same full or empty on either tank. By clear line diagnostics I am not sure what you mean? Thank you for your reply.

Clb I am not sure if I insulted you but all I asked for was an opinion before I made a decision on what to do. Basically I want others help in brainstorming what the issue could be. I don't mean to be rude but your response motivates me to stay away from this forum.
I'd like to apologize for my inability to find honest opinions to my question through the search button

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as how much fuel I had? It will act the same full or empty on either tank. By clear line diagnostics I am not sure what you mean? Thank you for your reply.

Clb I am not sure if I insulted you but all I asked for was an opinion before I made a decision on what to do. Basically I want others help in brainstorming what the issue could be. I don't mean to be rude but your response motivates me to stay away from this forum.
I'd like to apologize for my inability to find honest opinions to my question through the search button

all newbies are encouraged to read the tech articles. (should be manditory IMO)
the point is, if you need help you search first, then ask.
we are here to help, but ya gotta help yourself first ;Sweet

most of us have a sense of humor, just take things lightly, and dont get offended.

now, the clear line diagnostic is where you remove your return lines and replace them with clear lines to search for bubbles.
you have a classic air intrusion case, that can be easily resolved by working on your truck.
return lines is a good place to start
if i were you i would park your truck the way youre having an issue with it, and check for air in the schrader valve.
that will tell you if its post or pre filter.
good luck
oah and welcome to the forum.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJgbvwIuJjQ
Here is a video on it. It is also in the tech section somewhere. Do a search you will find it. Basically you install clear line in the return system in 3 or 4 places and depending on were the air bubbles appear and which direction they are going you can isolate were the air is getting in. If you need more help just ask.

scathecat123

Reaction score
IdIoit and ironworker40.
Thank you for you help and replies. I appreciate the info on the clear line test. That seems like a great way to go as far as checking for air in the lines.
My question is do people leave those clear lines on as replacement return lines? Or just simply test with them and immediately replace them with regular fuel line?

I am having trouble finding the best return line to order? Accurate diesel has a seemingly decent kit but after I emailed the company the rep responded saying he did not know what material the orings were constructed of. I am aware that VITON orings are the way to go.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Actually pm typ4 here. His name is Russ.
Or go to Conestogadiesel.com or pm agnem here, his name is Mel.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
As far as the clear line being left in I actually asked the same question a few weeks ago. No one said they did ,but next time i have to remove those lines thats what I,m going to do. Just make sure you get fuel rated line. As 79jasper said pm russ or mel for return line. Keep us posted. I'm really interested in the on the hill part, if fuel level in the tank didn't make a difference, the one thing I'm leaning toward is a week lift pump. If your is old I would just replace it . They are cheap and when I replaced mine It cut cranking time by 2/3 when I change filter and had to bleed the air out. I was not having any problems, I just changed it. Make sure you ask for fuel line olives when you get the return kit.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the clear line being left in I actually asked the same question a few weeks ago. No one said they did ,but next time i have to remove those lines thats what I,m going to do. Just make sure you get fuel rated line. As 79jasper said pm russ or mel for return line. Keep us posted. I'm really interested in the on the hill part, if fuel level in the tank didn't make a difference, the one thing I'm leaning toward is a week lift pump. If your is old I would just replace it . They are cheap and when I replaced mine It cut cranking time by 2/3 when I change filter and had to bleed the air out. I was not having any problems, I just changed it. Make sure you ask for fuel line olives when you get the return kit.

olives come with Mels return line kit.

scathecat123

Reaction score
I was considering the possibility of the lift pump... Unfortunately I don't actually know where the lift pump is on these engines. Never changed one before.
Thanks for the link. I will definitely get a hold of Russ about a return line kit. I know my truck needs it but now I think I'll add lift pump to my list of things to read about.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I was considering the possibility of the lift pump... Unfortunately I don't actually know where the lift pump is on these engines. Never changed one before.
Thanks for the link. I will definitely get a hold of Russ about a return line kit. I know my truck needs it but now I think I'll add lift pump to my list of things to read about.
Lay under front right side of truck. Look up you will see it there on front right corner of engine. It is one of the easiest thing to do on these trucks. 2 bolts, one rubber line, 1 steel line. When you put it back in if it doesn't sit flat against block the arm is hitting the lobe which is in the low position. Remove pump,Bump starter and retry. repeat until you get the fuel pump lobe on the high side and fuel pump sits flat. I have seen a thread were someone said you can get the arm on top of the lobe and it breaks off. I tried to do this when my engine was on the stand and front cover was removed and in my opinion it is impossible, at least with my pump and engine it was. Here is what the pump looks like. It looks like any fuel pump of a ford pre fuel injection if you have ever done one of them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VE5HH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

scathecat123

Reaction score
That seems like it's not too hard. Thanks for the instructions just to clarify though do you mean drivers side or pass side? My right or yours haha

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Right side is always passenger side and left is always drivers side when referring to vehicles. Think of it as if you were in the drivers seat. FYI That pump in the picture on amazon is upside down.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lay under front right side of truck. Look up you will see it there on front right corner of engine. It is one of the easiest thing to do on these trucks. 2 bolts, one rubber line, 1 steel line. When you put it back in if it doesn't sit flat against block the arm is hitting the lobe which is in the low position. Remove pump,Bump starter and retry. repeat until you get the fuel pump lobe on the high side and fuel pump sits flat. I have seen a thread were someone said you can get the arm on top of the lobe and it breaks off. I tried to do this when my engine was on the stand and front cover was removed and in my opinion it is impossible, at least with my pump and engine it was. Here is what the pump looks like. It looks like any fuel pump of a ford pre fuel injection if you have ever done one of them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VE5HH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

man what planet are you on??!?LOL
ive changed a few of these lift pumps, and boy, that rear bolt is a *****!!!!
cant see anything, arm pressing aginst the cam, craped spot!!! its simple, but not easy!!!

1/2" short swivel socket is what works the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online