starters.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welp the truck left me stranded at school today. went out crancjed for maybe 3 seconds and the starter goes by bye. regonized it cuz ive gone through 3 of these cheap things in the past year:mad: oh well replaced it and went on my way.
question is is im fed up with these cheap ass starters. ive heard some of yall are using gear reduction starters.
pros cons? how long do they last. im tired of going through starters every few monthes. is there any other good starters out there? i need somtheing that can last and crank over well.
thanks.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
yep thats it....goin on 2 years i think....i posted about when i got it i just dont remember anymore lol

dennis

Reaction score
I have bought three of these starters two for the idi and one for my backhoe. I thought the backhoe was getting ready for a rebuild. now I am pissed if it takes more than 3 seconds to pop over. hell of a difference I have a lot more time on the backhoe starter as the idi still needs the c6 changed to t 19 or zf5.
the starters are good they work but china so time will tell mine is two years old.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what im leaing towards next time this cheap one goes againn. its even cheaper price wise than this pos i have now.
guess im lucky its the first time trucks left me stranded.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I bought a gear reduction through Napa. Night and day difference over the direct drive that was giving up the ghost. I have had it in there for....3 years now? Its doing just fine.

Strong enough I can put it in first, hit the starter switch, and it will roll start it. Good to know if the clutch ever gets out...I can float gears from 1-4 LOL

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I kept having issues with my napa starter on my 94. It just drove me nutts. Had 3 of em die within like 2 months.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

That would be the critter you want, but also make sure that your batts and cables are in good shape or no starter is going to last.
If you still have the factory cables, you can pretty well bet that they are shot. They may not look it on the outside, but if you were to cut back the insulation you would find the copper embedded with green corrosion buildup that induces a high resistance in the cable
Since you just replaced the starter, your next investment should be a nice pair of group 31s stud top batts and make up some new 3/0 cables and you may find that your starter that you just bought, while it won't spin the engine near as fast as the gear reduction starter, will likely last a pretty decent amount of time .

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
one thing i did find from the db electrical starter is it was a louder then the original. it definitely had a gear whine to it. but after a few months that went away and its been fine since.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like the cables, all of the connection, power and ground. This is the cheap insurance that the starter is not subject to any more current than need be. Disconnect every connection between the batt and starter and clean/polish those connections. Put a little conductive grease on them as you are reconnecting them. Then do the same with the ground connections at the batt and block, being sure to use the conductive grease on all connections. You can get a conductive grease at electrical supplier and pay a bunch for it or you can use anti seize(it works great). And you will be amazed at how much faster your starter will spin.

When I first did this to my truck, a friend commented that it turn like a gasser.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Batteries are fairly new so they've gotta stay for now. Cables look fine but that's the key word "look". How much do new cables run?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
batterycables.com has a set for $200? but u can make ur own for about $100 or just refresh the stock ones.

i have a gear red starter on my truck now and its awsome. fires up from a week slumber in under 3 seconds.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm too comftorbale making my own on something that critical on the truck...
You have a link to the gear red starter?