Starter switch problem

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
Ok... haven't started my 94 turbo idi in five days. went out today it was 65 degrees and hasnt been plugged in. cycled the glow plugs they stayed on 15 secs. then turn it further to start and nothing. no click no bump nothing. thought batteries may be dead. put charger on and there was charge on them. cycled the plugs again and nothing. ran a jumper wire from hot post to starter solenoid and it fired right up. key switch was working fine when parked. Where should i start to look. i know the wires are simple but if anyone could give some suggestions that would be great.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no click means solinoid on fender
with key to start check for voltage on both large terminals
if no voltage replace
if voltage check at starter

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure that your getting voltage to the small terminal on the solenoid. If your not getting voltage to the small terminal on the solenoid then the switch or linkage could be at fault.

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
if the solenoid is bad then why would it start when i jumped from battery to the big post on solenoid

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you jumped to big post you basically connected the starter directly to the battery

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you jumpped the big post on the battery side to the small post on the solenoid and it started then the solenoid is working. You by-passed the ignition switch and wiring. Thats where I would start and work from there.

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
ok i jumped to small post and nothing happened. i jumped to large post with small wire on it and it started. does that tell you anything?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I agree. If the truck starts by crossing the two big teminals with a screw driver then the batteries are fine.

If you tried to put 12 volts to the small post on the solenoid and nothing happens...replace it with a new solenoid.

Part Number E8TZ11450B from Ford.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good you hear you fixed it... I'll bet the dealership would have charged you over $250.00 for that repair... This is the best site for these trucks... I wonder if Ford service knows about us and what we do here.....:dunno:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online