Starter doesn't stop cranking

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I turn the truck to the on position the starter cranks and will continue spinning while the truck is running. It looks like the orange wire that goes to the top of the starter solenoid has continuous 12v, causing this to happen. Is this a short somewhere or could it possibly be a bad ignition switch? Has anyone seen this? The truck is in my signature.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
does it crank in the on posistion? if so bad switch. what its doing is the little red wire on the solinoid is getting votage at all time even after you let off the key. take this wire off after started an see if it keeps spinning

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
sorry didnt read that good haha i would say bad switch because its throwing juice to the solinoid at all times. switch is simple to replace. disconect battery and turn key to on position. there should be a whole under ignition somewhere. take a screw driver an push up you can feel the button push. pull ignition while pushing button with screw driver. turn new key to on position push button with finger slide it in an turn key off. then hook ur battery up an c what happens.. new switch is 10 bucks at oriely auto parts

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Are you talking about the ignition switch thats on the top of the column that the lock cylinder rod goes to?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would troubleshoot this problem with a voltmeter at the fender relay. :dunno

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it, but did you check to make sure the key is all the way back on the "run" position? Just making sure ...

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a similar problem the 4th of july. start the truck and the starter kept running. turn the key off and the starter kept running. replaced the starter bendix and all was good.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Are you talking about the ignition switch thats on the top of the column that the lock cylinder rod goes to?

no just the cylinder not the whole ignition down in the column. as soon as you turn your key on its putting juice to the top small wire on the solinoid. that is what activates the solinoid to throw juice to the starter solinoid. pull that small red wire off turn the key to the on position an test to see if there is voltage at the red wire.

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now it is reading 11.6v at the orange wire with the ignition in the ON position. I forgot to mention that this problem is intermittent and sometimes the truck will act normally.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Right now it is reading 11.6v at the orange wire with the ignition in the ON position. I forgot to mention that this problem is intermittent and sometimes the truck will act normally.

id try a ignition cylinder first. like i said mine was 10 bucks at orielys.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When having electrical problems, replacing parts without knowing for sure that they are bad is illogical. You can end up introducing more problems than solving them. I would recommend instead, rigging a test light up to the small post on the fender relay, so that when you turn the key to crank, the light comes on. In this way, you will know when you let go of the key, if the light goes out but the starter is still spinning, then your problem is at the fender relay or downstream. If the light stays on, then your problem is in the steering column. Assuiming the light goes off, but the starter keeps going, you can easily move your test light from the small post to the large one that goes to the starter to rule out or condem the fender solenoid. Why guess, when you can KNOW ?

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured out the ignition switch on top of the column was just out of adjustment. Now I have only 8 volts at the orange wire when in the ON position, and my starter should stay off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online