Starter Clicks

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my started little over a year ago with the one in the picture. About six months ago when I would turn the key over you would jus hear a click, try it again and it would start. Well now today when I turn it over it just clicks every time I turn the key over. I cleaned all battery terminals, starter connections, tested batteries and they both are good showing 12.2 volts each, and I even took the starter down to Autozone they tested it and it tested just fine. However, it is still just clicking when I turn the key, any ideas???
Thanks

Attachments

• wolthuis.aspx.jpeg
    wolthuis.aspx.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 5

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Agreed on the solenoid. Check for power coming out when you jump the terminals. If there is power, then it is the starter or cable going to it.

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I turned the key over a friend put his ohm meter on the fender solenoid and it read 12 volts. We even tried jumper cables from truck to truck to see if the extra juice would help and no luck and the last thing we tried was him turning the key over while I hooked the jumper cables directly to the started and that didn't even make it click. Scratching my head??

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Just to clarify, when you turn the key, do you get a click from the fender solenoid? Have you also checked the connections on the starter?

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
While I turned the key over a friend put his ohm meter on the fender solenoid and it read 12 volts. We even tried jumper cables from truck to truck to see if the extra juice would help and no luck and the last thing we tried was him turning the key over while I hooked the jumper cables directly to the started and that didn't even make it click. Scratching my head??

I would take the starter out and hook the jumper cables up to the battery and then hook the ground up to the starter where the bolt holes go. Then you should be able to use the positive to jump the starter. Be carefull because they have a lot of torque. If the starter turns over then it is good and you will need to check the wiring and the solinoid. This is what I would do.

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I jump the solenoid that is on the fender? What 2 post do I have to cross with a screwdriver?? If I get this figured out and get the same clicking sound then it is the starter? If the soenoid is bad then it should turn the starter over when I cross which ever posts I need to cross? But not sure which posts to cross??

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I turn the key over you hear a loud click that my friend says is coming from the starter area, it is loud enough I am sure it drowndes out the other solenoid closing. All the connections are clean and tight that is the first thing I did before I took the started out and had it tested, it test good and worked normal on the bench test, but back in the truck it just clicked!

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is doing the same thing as yours was befor it died but I cant get it to do it regularly enough to figure it out but my money is on the starter. Try hitting the starter with a hammer a few times I bet it will start and if it does you need a starter. If you have a loud click coming from the starter then the solinoid on the fender is working as it powers the starter.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
You jump the starter solenoid from the big terminal to the other big terminal but beware there are two solenoids (IIRC) there, one is for your glowplugs, it should have a cap that says "do not jump here+-" but the cap may have been lost long ago.

When jumping from another truck does it have two batteries? You need a lot of amps, CCA(and reserve of group 31s is good too), to start one of these. And when you jump it are you using the positive and negative jumper cables to the starter? I ask because after reading your thread its not mentioned if your engine ground cable connections have been cleaned.