speedometer fix

turbo2

turbo2
Reaction score
Here is something I thought I had better pass on to help repay all the good advice I have gotten from this forum. My speedometer stopped working on my 89 3500 and so I looked into it first by taking the end off the transfer case. It looked OK and when I spun it in a cordless drill counter clock wise it worked! So, I go for the test drive and it quits working again. So, underneath I go again and I am thinking " what is going on here?" I take the sender apart and it looks OK. The plastic gear is not damaged and this time I can spin the end of the cable with my finger tips and get the needle on the dash to jump up and down. I routed the cable out to the side of the truck enough to see the dash when I twist the cable with my fingers and I am thinking "what is the deal here? Then I noticed something! I could pull on the cable and it would come out to a point that it would not move the needle on the dash when I spun it. I would push in on the cable and it would work when I spun it counter clock wise with my finger tips. So I had exta play in my cable. Then I though "oh, no, its a problem with the gauge and I do not really want to get into the dash. So, I take off the four little twist knobs,remove the lower panel, to get a look up under there and just on a hunch I grab the cable and push it closer to the gauge. Low a behold it moves up and stays in place! End of problem! Easy fix once I located it. The keeper must of just gotten tired and the cable pulled away from the guage a little.

Last edited:

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal - beats swapping that stupid little plastic gear in the t-case (on my list of things to do)