Sparks

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to plug in my truck as it takes a LOT of cranking to get it to fire now that it's ~10* or lower and the cord started sparking right by the head with the prongs :mad:

Is the cord replaceable? I'd like to be able to plug it in to help with starting - the GP light comes on for around 10 seconds or so and I crank on it for around 20 seconds at a time with the pedal to the floor, turn off, light comes on for a 1/2 second and I crank for another 20 seconds. Sometimes It's taken me 3 or 4 attempts to get it to fire, probably a sign that the GP's are not all functioning.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
u can remove it from the heater, should just push into it. take the cord with u. also truck dealerships(heavy truck) should have them also. if i remeber correctly, there is 3 different ends on block heaters, 2 different push in ones and a screw on.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
in all the trucks I have had they all had the same three prong push on type.... learn something new every day.... I just assumed they were all the same....

but then again we all know what assume means....

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
i was talking about big trucks also. i know cat uses a screw on end. then some have 2 prong round ones with ground on the outside. then there is ours with the 3 prong.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Back in the day I just put a new plug on one and it worked great--that's before I realized how easy it was to just change the whole thing out.

That said even a new one will "spark" a little when you plug it in from what I have seen. Not sure how many amps they draw but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a heavy duty (30A) extension cord as well.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it will spark on the contacts, mine is sparking where the cord goes into the back of the plug!

I've got a feeling the insulation on the wiring is gone from the cord blowing around in the wind. It's hanging a few inches below my front bumper - for god only knows how long...

But your idea may work as well - I'm lazy, it's very cold out and I've got enough cord to work with... hrm, snip snip and a few turns of a screw driver and I'll have a new plug.... :)

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
another idea is go to a truck shop and get the ones that are mountable. drill a few holes and mount it so no more flopping in the wind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim

Members online