Spare engine worth keeping around?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Sorry this isn't tech, but I was hoping to get some advice :angel:

For reasons that only make sense to us.. my family and I are moving from our place out in the country to a much smaller place in town. I'll most likely go from having a large shop to a two car garage.

I have a used running 6.9 engine (code: 6.9DU2U085025 not sure it that's a desirable engine or not) that I was keeping around 'just in case' the ol' 7.3 blew. The 7.3 in my truck was rebuilt 100k miles ago. It doesn't burn or use oil and has good power. All around good running healthy engine.

I really don't want to move the spare engine and try to store it somewhere...

In the unlikely event my 7.3 did blow: Would you replace it with this used 6.9 OR have the 7.3 rebuilt (if it didn't cavitate) professionally OR replace the 7.3 with a Pro-mar or similar?

Thoughts?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd sell the 6.9 to keep from moving it.
i beg to differ.
firstly, i'd build a engine dolly that able to handle the weight of the motor and mount it on there so it can be rolled around.
imho, without a spare motor, your options on what to do is reduced significantly.
with it, 6.9 or 7.3 or whatever, you are able to keep a truck running and moving around and still in service.
without it, you now have a large dead animal and pressure to get it back up or get rid of it. even if you do decide on getting rid of it, running a spare motor will fetch more $$$$$ than dead with no motor.
you already know the operation of the spare motor. you can reduce the bulk by stripping off all the 6.9 stuff and bring it down to a long block with all the tinning installed.
just my .02 :D

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks everyone ;Sweet I think I'll keep it around.

Is there anything I can do to keep the thing lubricated? It's been sitting for six years now and I hope that didn't do any damage.. I'm sure the heads and such are dry by now.

I'll plan on re-sealing everything for safe measure if I ever do need to use it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can take glow plugs out and spray a shot of wd-40 in holes. Bar engine over a few times and call it good. Wrap it in an engine storage bag & your set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online