south bend clutch vs new original

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
well i cant get the truck in gear when standing still go to take off with the clutch in it likes to go so its time for a clutch
well you guys can read what i got underneath this
but my question is what would be the benifite of me getting a south bend clutch vs a stocker clutch
the sad thing im a little tite rite now but i think i can swing a south bend in there
i know as far as the south bend is a better clutch but will it last longer if im going to be putting more peformance parts to it eventually is it worth the moeny
the **** of all of this ive got parts to do the head gaskets head studs hydroboost **** and right now i need my truck so badly i cant even explain and no time to do any of this stuff maybe its time to find a daily driver for a bit idont know
all the help is greatly apperciated thanks

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
well id still like to know my question but
i added a little fluid just a bit not much at all and now it works just fine never herd of that at all

RedTruck

Reaction score
When I installed my new engine I ordered a clutch through the local navistar dealer. It was a Sachs clutch. It was unique in that the throwout bearing had a plastic center section that rode on the splines. I think this was to prevent gauling and the need for lubrication, but that's just a guess. It worked well, but when hauling heavy loads it slipped some. I have a good friend that runs an '86 6.9 4 speed with 4.11's and he's had nothing but problems with stock clutches slipping. I ended up going with a 12" clutch. It's really been rock solid. I'm sure you can get a 12" clutch through South Bend. If not PM me and I'll try and get you the information on mine.

If you're just using it to haul a boat or lighter trailer I'd say you'll be fine with the stock clutch. If not I'd go with the 12" clutch.

Paul

tractorman86

Reaction score
the south bend clutch i just put in works great so far, it dosent slip an ounce and dosen't chatter like the cheeper ceramic clutches do. it was only $400 and some change including shipping and peter(800-988-4345) sais it WILL hold a 350 hp diesel with out issues.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
the south bend clutch i just put in works great so far, it dosent slip an ounce and dosen't chatter like the cheeper ceramic clutches do. it was only $400 and some change including shipping and peter(800-988-4345) sais it WILL hold a 350 hp diesel with out issues.

thats good where did you get yours

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my 12 inch Kevlar/metalic SBC direct as well. My stock clutch was slipping with the turbo and the DPS fuel goodies. The SBC has more hold, but doesn't slip as well as a stock clutch when taking off/backing up.

Here is a photo of the clutch on the resurfaced flywheel.

You must be registered for see images

Heath

Last edited:

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I got my 12 inch Kevlar/metalic SBC direct as well. Mine stock clutch was slipping with the turbo and the DPS fuel goodies. The SBC has more hold, but doesn't slip as well as a stock clutch when taking off/backing up.

Here is a photo of the clutch on the resurfaced flywheel.

You must be registered for see images

Heath

over all what do you think of the clutch it self for like towing and all of that kinda stuff

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got to figure on that you must change out the flywheel if going from an 11 to 12 inch clutch. What kind of loads does your truck haul/pull.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
You've got to figure on that you must change out the flywheel if going from an 11 to 12 inch clutch. What kind of loads does your truck haul/pull.

oh **** i didnt realize that you had to change out the flywheel to put in a 12 inch where do i get one of those thanks that probably saved me a friggn headache thanks a bunch:thumbsup: :hail :hail :hail :hail
1 what kinda loads do i pull
not very heavy ones at this time basically a 2 horse trailer loaded to the top with oak fire wood and a car trailer anyway i want to be ready for the heaviest load possible;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can get them at any good parts house the question is will they accept your 11" flywheel as a core? If so you're in business for about 60 bucks, if not its gonna hurt you in the wallet a lot. You can get these from SBC as part of the kit but they charge a good deal of money for them and its going to make the shipping H-E-A-V-Y. I know I had an 11" one shipped from an ebay seller for my conversion.

RedTruck

Reaction score
If you have the old SMF, the holes match for an 11 or 12 inch clutch. If you talk to a guy on the phone that says different ask to talk to a different guy.

Paul

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
If you have the old SMF, the holes match for an 11 or 12 inch clutch. If you talk to a guy on the phone that says different ask to talk to a different guy.

Paul

what:dunno
thats what i would have thought in the first place:dunno and im shure that i have the old SMF

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no need for a new flywheel. The one in the photo is the original Ford part, it's just been resurfaced. There is no need to redrill/tap the old flywheel. There is plenty of room for a 12 inch clutch on the flywheel using the standard mounting holes for the pressure plate.

As far as performance, it has never slipped yet. But, I have killed my T-case with WOT at 8-9 psi of boost. But like I said above, it grabs more taking off and backing up. It's is not annoying and it doesn't make the truck difficult to drive..........it's just something you notice.

Also, if I had it to do over, I would not have used the TOB provided by SBC. There is nothing wrong with it, but I would rather have gotten a TOB with a greese zerk so it would be easy to lube.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossviking

Members online