Sourcing Group 31's

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
So the Vegas summer, and vibration finally killed my poor old (too small & missmatched) batteries. Now's as good a time as any to put some 31's in it.

Being a cheap *******, where have people been finding them cheapest?

Seen alot of good info here on why I should use them, and ALOT of fun places to mount them. Just not the best place to buy them. =P

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't paid full mark-up price for a Group-31s in years.

I have always bought "seconds", "blems", or "scratch & dents", whatever they happen to be called in your locale, usually for about 1/3 the cost of first-lines.

I have had as good, if not better, luck with the "blems" as I ever had buying first-line batteries.

The catch usually is you ain't gonna just be able to waltz in the local chain store and get these deals.

You are gonna have to become acquainted with the battery delivery guy; Interstate is usually a good one.

As a general rule, first-line batteries have a "when new" code stamped somewhere around the top edge.

The battery delivery guy will service the display racks at all the usual places and, when the code shows a battery has not sold in six months, he will put it back on the truck and replace it with a fresh one; just like the bread delivery guy.

These out-of-date batteries have all identifying labels stripped from them, get "BLEM" or "SECOND" branded across the top, and get a generic size/group sticker, then are sold at a highly discounted price.

Ask around the local big truck repair shops and anyone who has a lot of trucks and equipment and I bet they are on first-name basis with the blemished battery guy.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Like he said, get friendly with a battery delivery guy. My interstate guy hooked me up on some blem batteries. I needed a total of 10 of them for all my various fords. got a killer deal!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Local truck shop here has g31's for $89, they also explained something I did not know, You don't need to buy the ones with the highest CCA's, they have 1150cca and 850cca the difference is the lower cca battery will crank longer than a higher cca battery and the fins on the lower cca battery are also thicker than the ones on the higher cca battery which can cause it to short faster. Maybe it doesn't make a huge difference in most climates but something to keep in mind.
Btw their higher cca battery cost more so the seller had no gain in selling Me the more (sorry I meant less) expensive battery.

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lower CCA plate thickness post is interesting and requires more research...

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
The lower CCA plate thickness post is interesting and requires more research...

Well it makes sense, the G31's should all have similar Ah ratings, or they wouldn't be 31's. So, ones that push fewer amps, aught to push them for a little longer.

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy the blem/used Interstate batteries from the distributor warehouse.

To find an Interstate distributor near you, go to this webpage:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/DealerLocator/Default.aspx

Select the amount of miles you are willing to travel from the "within" drop-down menu.
Select "Distributor" from the "Location Type" drop-down menu.
Push the "Search" button.

I called a distributor near me. They said they sold 7 "used" group 31 batteries a few days ago and are currently out of them. The batteries were previously installed into a vehicle for a short time and returned for exchange/refund at the dealer.

The distributor said the returned batteries are typically low on electrolyte. When the batteries come back to their warehouse, they top them off and charge them overnight. In the morning, they test the voltage of the batteries. Bad batteries will read way below 12 volts. These are scrapped.

The distributor charges $43 + tax for a group 31 battery and gives a 90 day warranty.

The closet distributor to me is 30 miles.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get blem batteries here with top posts for around 30 bucks apiece plus core.

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I called the distributor, they didn't mention anything about a core. Maybe they give some credit fore a core.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll 2nd the blems and factory seconds. The only drawback is that they have a very short warranty. The local Battery Mart here gives you a 90 day free replacement then a 1yr prorate. They cost $29+Tax and core if you don't have an exchange. As for the warranty many places are getting away from the Prorate thing anyway.

I'm trying to get away from wet batteries. I'm tired of constantly cleaning my cable ends. The dirt roads I drive on make the acid splash out the vents then the corrosion starts.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
All group 31s will have the same case size so...

More thinner plates gives you more cranking amps but less reserve capacity and less amp hours

Less plates but thicker plates to make up that same space inside will give you less cranking amps but more reserve capacity and more amp hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online

No members online now.