Source for Remanufactured MANUAL trans (ZF-5, 4WD)

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys-

You may remember my trouble with the clutch and trans back in February. It appears that the first SMF that I installed was definitely drilled off center, and in turn damaged the input bearing and mainshaft bearings in my ZF5. I also have worn synchros on 2nd and 3rd gears. Due to my work schedule and time constraints, it will be more efficient for me to replace the trans rather than rebuild it.

Can anyone recommend a good source for a reman ZF5, with a warranty? Ford does not offer a reman trans for this old of a truck, I checked. Most places only play with automatics. I found one place, here in Las Vegas actually, that looks good, but have no experience with them (www.drivetrain.com)

Ryan

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I talked to ford about a year ago I was able to get a 3 year war zf-5 or e4od with unlimited miles. That's odd they don't today.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can afford to have the truck down for a couple of days... check out DANS drive line in las Vegas... they have been working on my families transmissions for about 10 years and do a good job

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Thats sure sucks both ways. Having the clutch flywheel adding to your troubles seems to me thy should pay for something. Sad to see this continueing too. its tuff when the rig is down.. Good luck with what you decide to do. sorry I can't offer much more.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Zumbrota bearing and gear - zbag

They supply our local Ford dealership and have an excellent reputation...although a little far from you. Its in minnesota.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a shop on the cost, near me that does ZF and does a DYNO test of said rebuilt transmission with warranty...

I'll search for a link if you wish.

17-2100 bucks as I recall, You can pick S42 or S47 too!

Let me know and I'll search them out. I'm not sure how shipping would work.

I suppose I could go get it, pallet it, bring it home stick in wife's truck/car/whatever and then she could transport across line to Oroville WA and then ship from inside US....lots of work but for fuel costs I'll do that!

Al

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a used one in Nevada.

Transmission
Ford Truck 250 DIESEL,5 SPEED,4x4,TILT/KEY,Floor 150,000 A 4516 $850 Pic N Save A/R, Inc. USA-NV(Mound-House) E-mail 866-843-3030 / 775-246-0711

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a quote from Zumbrota yesterday for $1250 + shipping and core charge. That's about what I'm willing to part with. Still looking at standard transmission and gear and 6 states transmission.

Thanks for the link to the used one, but I really want a "new" reman unit rather than another used one. Mines used and used up!

I had to move the truck today, and its just depressing how terrible it sounds.

Ryan

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Jasper engines and Transmissions? They are kind of pricey, but quality seems good what little I have messed with them.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I can drive to Zbag, which is AWESOME.

Check on car-part.com - I've never been able to find one on craigslist or in any yard in this area, but they are consistantly on car-part for ~$400 with ~100K on them.... I'm seriously considering it.