Something For The Turnpike Tollroad Drivers

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
That is pretty cool. Although here in Idaho, I've never been on a toll road or bridge. Spokane, WA had the Maple Street bridge toll booth for a long time but we had never gone through it. It's gone now (the toll booth).

sassyrel

Reaction score
It's gone now (the toll booth).[/QUOTE]

highly unusual..normally,,the politcos..like to keep them up.. they
LOVE the money!!!!!!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
These days, one of those would cause someone to get shot by the cops...

I was about to say.. I can just see some poor sucker whipping that thing out and next thing, hes face down on teh ground with 10 cop cars and 2 helecopters and an appointment with homeland security

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was to pay for the bridge. Spokane is over the WA line from us so I'm not 100% sure.
Most bridge tolls are implemented as a way to pay for the bridge. At least in the SF Bay Area, the tolls were meant to be temporary to pay the bridges off...but, by the time the bridges were paid off, they needed earthquake retrofit work, so the tolls were kept in place (and even increased a few times). Now, the tolls are in place for two reasons: 1) to pay for the new Bay Bridge eastern span, and 2) because the rest of the state (L.A., the San Joaquin Valley, etc) said that they weren't willing to help pay for upkeep for pieces of infrastructure that weren't in their area.

In the days of electronic toll-taking, I just wish they'd implement high-speed toll lanes statewide. I've seen it on a few bridges, and it really works better than having to slow to 10 mph or so to keep from smacking a mirror against one side or the other. It might not be a huge deal in a passenger car, but in a bus, it can really be tantamount to threading a needle. I think every mirror on every one of my company's buses has damage from hitting the side of a toll booth :shocked: (you only have about six inches of clearance on either side)

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some states would probably consider that an actual firearm. Point, shoot, squeeze the trigger, projectile comes out - yep it's a gun and your going to jail.