Somebody give me some better news

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im one of those "do it so i know when it was done" type people, and have been going through my trucks motor since i bought it. Just finished my return lines today after getting my injectors back from being cleaned/tested. I got the injectors done for free so the 1 week wait wasnt a big deal. Anyway, i finish up replace the orings/caps/lines, hook everything back up and start it up. NO BLUE SMOKE. Awesome, no more air gettin in the lines. After letting it sit there and warm up, we check for leaks, no leaks, still no smoke (20mins of idle) and sounds pretty healthy at idle. I go inside while my buddy checks over the motor, he revs it a few times to the point of it cackleing. When i walk back out he asks if i knew that it had a miss. I didnt remember a miss, but he said it only happens around 2500rpm and higher. I shrug, and sure enough he proves to me it misses. If ya hold it where the miss is at it gives off some nice blue smoke. SOOO off to the forums i go, after searching it sounds like the IP's advance mechanism is possibly bad. are there any tests to prove or disprove this? and is there a way to fix it?

for those of us who dont want to read my rant/question:
truck has a miss above 2500 rpm, produces blue smoke; is IP advance mech the problem? and are there any tests?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:( thank you and to hell with you!! lol. thats what my searching told me, i was just hoping for the "naw, sounds dirty, just clean the damned thing" answer. welp, time for a new pump. boooooo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:( thank you and to hell with you!! lol. thats what my searching told me, i was just hoping for the "naw, sounds dirty, just clean the damned thing" answer. welp, time for a new pump. boooooo
i can sugarcoat a **** for you if that will help make you feel better:D
look at it this way....you're not going to pay full pop for a injection pump *if* you move quickly enough.:dunno

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought one from the link. Hope I get one of the good ones...
My mileage recently dropped in half, lost all power, and been smoking like crazy by half throttle, IP is one of the only parts I haven't replaced, and I've tested everything besides getting the under a year old injectors pop tested.

There went my savings, but it'll even out quickly with getting my mileage back up. Got used to 18mpg, so my last two tanks only making it 200 miles is a MAJOR issue...

At least cold beers and my girl agreeing it's worth the cost made it hurt less :D

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I just bought one from the link. Hope I get one of the good ones...
My mileage recently dropped in half, lost all power, and been smoking like crazy by half throttle, IP is one of the only parts I haven't replaced, and I've tested everything besides getting the under a year old injectors pop tested.

There went my savings, but it'll even out quickly with getting my mileage back up. Got used to 18mpg, so my last two tanks only making it 200 miles is a MAJOR issue...

At least cold beers and my girl agreeing it's worth the cost made it hurt less :D

That is priceless there! My wife is pretty good about things like that too, but I hear a lot of guys say otherwise about their women. You definitely need to hold on to her. :thumbsup:

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is priceless there! My wife is pretty good about things like that too, but I hear a lot of guys say otherwise about their women. You definitely need to hold on to her. :thumbsup:

Haha, thanks. Definitely a keeper, and she knows that working on my projects keeps me sane.:D

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can sugarcoat a **** for you if that will help make you feel better:D
look at it this way....you're not going to pay full pop for a injection pump *if* you move quickly enough.:dunno

well, i got the truck home from the shop we work on **** at, and the miss is all the way through the rev range, unfortunately by the time i got home and found a 5/8" wrench to start crackin injectors, my fire pager went off and off i went on a squad call... WEE. anyway, im still probably gonna go with a new IP then save for a set of the good IPs that have been balanced, i hate takin shortcuts. bites me in the ass every time. oh i also discovered that i have some diesel leakin from the "torque screw"

DragRag

Reaction score
I have had great success with the uhaul pumps, I bought 5 of them. I also bought a **** load of oil filters, injectors, tach sensors etc. Money saved is earned in my book.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, im not afraid to use one, just currently dont have the money, maybe on this next check. along with a muffler, iron to build seat backets, 100w PA speaker for my siren, and a set of red/blue grill lights. tired of people not moving!

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
People are gonna call me crazy for this one. Remove the ip from the truck and soak it fully submerged in pb blaster. I gave a buddy of mine my old ip that missed and smoked like hell. He done that and put it on his truck. Runs like a brand new one!

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People are gonna call me crazy for this one. Remove the ip from the truck and soak it fully submerged in pb blaster. I gave a buddy of mine my old ip that missed and smoked like hell. He done that and put it on his truck. Runs like a brand new one!

HMMMM....:D

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got out some good ol' engine cleaner, the "gel" crap from the local farm supply shop. sprayed down the motor, and found out a few different things. First thing i noticed, my timing marks were, well screwed up bad. i lined them up and most of my miss went away, advanced it a dimes width, and no more miss, no more smoke, revs great (still want a new pump). then i get to lookin at my torque screw, and the lock nut isnt tightened against the body of the pump. i tightened it down, bottomed the screw out and put it one screw out. no more leaks from there. now to track down why my "wait to start" light doesnt come on. the plugs cycle and it pops off right as i hit the key, just no light...

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Might have to try that with my old pump, since I don't have to send it in as a core :D