Some questions?

Biggreen94

Reaction score
Since this is my first IDI truck, I have a few questions. I was reading about shortning the arm on the wastegate to increase the boost and was wondering about how you do this. My other question is which screw on the IP(internal & external) do you turn to increase the fuel. All this stuff was so much easier on my ,02 Dodge with the Cummins :D I'm mechanically inclined, but this IDI stuff is new to me. Can someone point me in the right direction ;Sweet

Last edited:

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggreen94 said:
Since this is my first IDI truck, I have a few questions. I was reading about shortning the arm on the wastegate to increase the boost and was wondering about how you do this. My other question is which screw on the IP(internal & external) do you turn to increase the fuel. All this stuff was so much easier on my ,02 Dodge with the Cummins :D I'm mechanically inclined, but this IDI stuff is new to me. Can someone point me in the right direction ;Sweet

The direction you need to go first before any tightening or shortning will be a Pyro Gauge...you heard it here first!! ;Sweet

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Before you touch any of those adjustments get the pyro and a boost gauge and then replace the exhaust from the turbo back! An open element air filter wouldn't be a bad idea either. The factory exhaust is too restrictive to allow any mods.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biggreen94 said:
As the other guys said.....you mess with that stuff, you'd better have a pyro to monitor impending meltdowns. That said, take a look at this link for turning up the feul(POKE HERE) . And as far as increasing boost, pull the jesus clip on the wastegate, loosen the locknut, and screw in the rod to increase boost. have fun safely :D

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
towcat said:
As the other guys said.....you mess with that stuff, you'd better have a pyro to monitor impending meltdowns. That said, take a look at this link for turning up the feul(POKE HERE) . And as far as increasing boost, pull the jesus clip on the wastegate, loosen the locknut, and screw in the rod to increase boost. have fun safely :D
actually,he will have to pull the E clip on the rod end,remove the 2 bolts holding the waste gate to the turbo,unhook the hose and then you can go about adjusting.You will have to drill out the 2 dimples(the factory setup used dimples instead of a lock nut) and turn the rod end to shorten it.1100degrees and 12PSI of boost is safe max on a stock setup.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
actually,he will have to pull the E clip on the rod end,remove the 2 bolts holding the waste gate to the turbo,unhook the hose and then you can go about adjusting.You will have to drill out the 2 dimples(the factory setup used dimples instead of a lock nut) and turn the rod end to shorten it.1100degrees and 12PSI of boost is safe max on a stock setup.
I stand corrected.
Both of the '94's I've worked on in the past must have been changed out to the aftermarket units like the one I got on my '92.

Biggreen94

Reaction score
Guages are on the way, and the 3inch DP and 4 inch exhaust will be on next week. ;Sweet

As far as the guages go, I'm going with a Pyro, Boost and Trans Temp.

I figured out the external screw, but where do I find the internal? :confused:

Last edited:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
towcat said:
I stand corrected.
Both of the '94's I've worked on in the past must have been changed out to the aftermarket units like the one I got on my '92.

My 94 had the dimples but you never know about ferd.They did some strange things in production.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Biggreen94 said:
Guages are on the way, and the 3inch DP and 4 inch exhaust will be on next week. ;Sweet

As far as the guages go, I'm going with a Pyro, Boost and Trans Temp.

I figured out the external screw, but where do I find the internal? :confused:

You got the right stuff going on the truck! The internal fuel adjustment is under the triangular plate on the passenger side of the IP. I haven't messed with mine yet but I understand you'll spill a considerable amount of fuel so have plenty of rags/towels handy.

DIESEL_COP

JASON HALOUSKA
Reaction score
one note on the dimples, do not drill too far the threaded rod is not that thick and you could drill through the whole thing.

Biggreen94

Reaction score
One more question. I just had the E4OD rebuilt about 5000 miles ago. I'm putting on a BIG trans cooler and thought I might as well change the trans filter while I was at it. Are there any trans fluids that work better in these transmissions, or are they all about the same. :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online