solid axle swap???

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have any off you guys swaped out your old front axle for a solid axle? what are the benefits from doing this? what axle should you use? dana 40, dana 60? any input would be appreciated.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just threw gas on a fire! :backoff LOL

You would need the D60. I just got a D60 this past weekend, I will rebuild it before swapping my D50 out.

D50
- better ride
- better traction (tracking) off road than a straight axle
- more moving parts, pivots points
- tire wear

D60
- stronger axle
- much easier to maintain
- alignment not affected by loading, bumps, etc.

Use 'search', lots of information and discussion on this.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have any off you guys swaped out your old front axle for a solid axle? what are the benefits from doing this? what axle should you use? dana 40, dana 60? any input would be appreciated.

Nope, nobody here has ever done it. Totally unpossible, and there are absolutely no positive benefits from doing this. If you do decide to do it, use a Dana 30 out of a 96 Jeep Wrangler, that's the only year that's 100% bolt-in. The Dana 40 and 60 are way too heavy, and you'll have problems steering in small parking lots.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
d50 performs much better (smoother ride) when your flying down dirt roads thats for sure.

Supposedly a d60 with the newer superduty springs rides nice though also, that's what I want to eventually do

Only reason I want to swap in a d60 is because I want to lift the truck, if I was keeping it stock I would just learn 2 maintain my d50.

d60 is heavier duty, looks better (imo), less moving parts aka easier maintenance. I dont even know how to change the fluid on my d50, dont care either. Wont be in there long and will without a doubt be scrapped after the swap (see them on craigslist for months @ $100 a PIECE, cant give em away!) That should tell you though that these 'WEAK" d50s obviously are not breaking left and right.

If your wanting to keep the stock height, I cant really see the advantages outweighing the cost of the d60. Maybe some others can though. By the time you spend $800 on the axle itself and rebuild it, the fact that your tires last 10k longer might not be as rewarding as you think.

Not denying the d60 is superior so everybody stay calm

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
If you use a '99+ sd front springs and reverse shackle the ride is real good for leafs. I'm probably going to do that if I swap a60 in my 2wd f350

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I am quite happy that my truck came 60 equipped. That being said, I would leave the TTB unless you are going for more than 4" of lift or do some seroius off roading or heavy construction/logging/hauling. D50ttb axles will last plenty long if they are set up right.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Nope, nobody here has ever done it. Totally unpossible, and there are absolutely no positive benefits from doing this. If you do decide to do it, use a Dana 30 out of a 96 Jeep Wrangler, that's the only year that's 100% bolt-in. The Dana 40 and 60 are way too heavy, and you'll have problems steering in small parking lots.

been lookin for one , but just cant seem to locate one, they seem to be just as rare as a d40 lol

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you maintain your d50 an stay stock height your good to go. Wanna of road with it an it be better than a d60 it's very possible but open up your wallet fat. My reasons for liking d60 is loading truck heavy tire wear an easy maintance. Btw I have seem some of the most bad ass broncos an f-150's with ttb's out at Glamis desert watch out they wheel jump fly anything better than the people with solids.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys but my truck is going to get atleast 4 inches of lift and maybe 6 inches later on.... will this hurt my d50? its also gonna get at least 33x12.50x16 and maybe later on 35x12.50x16, i dont wanna tear up my axle so info is nice. i'll probably do alot of off roading with it. what all does swaping it out with a d60 consist of?

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
You don't need a 6" lift to run 35's... I would not waste my time lifting a TTB. I just yanked one out of my '97. The previous owner put a 4" lift on and it handled like crap.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A sas is actually marginally more work than a lift of the stock TTB and that being said provides many benefits.

Use a D 60 to SAS as a D44 would not be beneficial even a D44HD wouldn't be great. You would need to fabricate spring mounts and so forth. Using a 60 from 86ish up to 97 is practically a bolt in!

If you are lifting the TTB you need to replace all the TTB brackets (=lots of work) and springs and shocks likely along with upgrades to steering to keep geometry in check!

If you are swapping in a 60 you only need new springs, U bolts, shocks and a drop bracket for the track bar. The F350 pitman arm is different so you would want that as well.

D60 SAS =

PROs

Great gear ratio availability
Excellent differential selection IE Lockers Posis etc
Stronger, larger axles and custom axles available
LESS moving parts to wear
Good ride and handling IF DONE CORRECTLY!
Better steering setup and potential for upgrades IE... HI STEER etc
No camber problems constantly arising if ball joints or KP in good condition
easy to align = TOE IN only (USUALLY)
better tyre wear
better aftermarket support
easier fluid changes
Hydro Assist steering is simple to do

CONs

Cost of D 60 and parts to begin with for conversion
involves labour OH WAIT SO DOES LIFTING A TTB LOL
You may get a 60 needing lots of support...IE new king pins (or ball joints) and seals and so forth again adding to initial cost of transplant
Ride can be harder, compared to the TTB though not unacceptable

TTB LIFT =

PROs

Retains stock components
ride maybe better than stock

CONs

steering changes during axle movement
weaker axles Ride can be negatively impacted too
more moving parts
smaller u joints and more of them
depending on TTB weaker hubs
smaller ring gear
less gearing options for tyre size changes
fewer differentials Lockers etc available
fluid changes are almost impossible
alignment issues
ball joint wear with larger tyres

Understand these are a few of my thoughts on the TTB vs D60 and are purely subjective. There may be other pros and cons to each that I have not touched on and I"m not trying to provide all of them anyway merely a few for thought.

If this was my project, first I'd be looking at local lift laws in my (YOUR) area and making sure of what I can or cannot do. Then once I've got a grasp on those, I'd build s pro con list of TTB and D60 of your own. Take into account lifts and gearing for tyre size compensation later on as well as choice of lockers/posi if any are desired.

Bottom line is to install a 60 in a TTB truck is not all that difficult, probably even easier than just lifting a TTB IMHO based on work involved.

All this being said, good luck with your project

I hope this helps in your decision

Al

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need a 6" lift to run 35's... I would not waste my time lifting a TTB. I just yanked one out of my '97. The previous owner put a 4" lift on and it handled like crap.

I did a 4" lift on mine and it handles and rides well. Granted, I would have liked a D60, but the drop bracket for the passenger side had been damaged (bolts broke, holes elongated) so I needed a fix fast (no comments :D) so I went with the lift (it came with brackets). Replaced the bushings, etc, while I had it apart. Took my time, about a 2 day job.

Still wouldn't mind a D60, but with a good alignment, it works well.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of redoing a D60 I picked up last year before winter. I actually just pulled the axles out tonight to put new U joints in them. this weekend the new ball joints are going in.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of redoing a D60 I picked up last year before winter. I actually just pulled the axles out tonight to put new U joints in them. this weekend the new ball joints are going in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online