So what did you do with your truck today?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Adventure on the road.

Moved a trailer full of house reno tools and stuff for my daughter. Piece of cake compared to the day before.

I picked up a 1997 F-250 with 330,000 Kms and a blown transmission for $1,000. Dragged it home to Calgary from Medicine Hat. Not entirely uneventful. All 8 lug nuts on the drivers side front wheel decided to abandon ship. A glance in the side mirror showed the tire riding at a 45 degree angle. :eek:
Pulled over immediately. I don't know how the wheel stayed on. It carved a groove in the hub and totally mangled the wheel studs. :puke:

You must be registered for see images attach

I walked around the vehicle to the inspect the other front wheel. This one I suspected I might have problems with because it was flat when I picked up the truck. As I look down, I hear a BLAM!! like a shotgun blast. The drivers side tire exploded. Giving my guardian angels grey hair, I am.

So there I am, at the side of the highway -10C slight breeze, 8 f'd up wheel studs, and 300kms from home. Good times, good times.

As fortune would have it, when I was packing up my tools (don't leave home without 'em) my file was sitting by the other tools I grabbed for the trip. I almost put it back, thinking I wouldn't need it, but changed my mind thinking what the H. It's not very heavy, I'll bring it. Good thing I did. I filed down the least worst studs so I could get 4 wheel nuts from the passengers side wheel started. I only managed to get 2 wheel nuts tight enough to hold the wheel on. Two more only got about half way before I was afraid of breaking the stud off. Oh well, they would be my "safeties". I went a few kms down the road and checked and retightened them. Every 40 kms or so I would check and tighten them. I took it slow: 80 km/h and kept checking. About 120 kms from home, the two wheel nuts were not holding adequately and the rim was suffering. It was now dark, and I though this adventure had come to an end. As a last ditch effort, I backed off the two safeties and tried tightening them again. They went! Woohoo!! I tightened all 4 and brought the truck home.

Oh, I had to stop for air for the passenger tire. I had a 12 Volt tire pump with me, but it wouldn't reach the tire. I could have pulled off the tire, and brought it to the pump, but I figured I would just pay the dollar for the air machine at the PetroCan. Well, as most Canadians know, air pump machines in winter SUCK! :mad: I did manage to get 40 PSI into the tire despite the slow leaky POS air pump. I'm getting to old for this ****.

Anyway, I made it home with my prize, 3 hours overdue. Mission complete!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Moved a trailer full of house reno tools and stuff for my daughter. Piece of cake compared to the day before.

I picked up a 1997 F-250 with 330,000 Kms and a blown transmission for $1,000. Dragged it home to Calgary from Medicine Hat. Not entirely uneventful. All 8 lug nuts on the drivers side front wheel decided to abandon ship. A glance in the side mirror showed the tire riding at a 45 degree angle. :eek:
Pulled over immediately. I don't know how the wheel stayed on. It carved a groove in the hub and totally mangled the wheel studs. :puke:

I walked around the vehicle to the inspect the other front wheel. This one I suspected I might have problems with because it was flat when I picked up the truck. As I look down, I hear a BLAM!! like a shotgun blast. The drivers side tire exploded. Giving my guardian angels grey hair, I am.

So there I am, at the side of the highway -10C slight breeze, 8 f'd up wheel studs, and 300kms from home. Good times, good times.

As fortune would have it, when I was packing up my tools (don't leave home without 'em) my file was sitting by the other tools I grabbed for the trip. I almost put it back, thinking I wouldn't need it, but changed my mind thinking what the H. It's not very heavy, I'll bring it. Good thing I did. I filed down the least worst studs so I could get 4 wheel nuts from the passengers side wheel started. I only managed to get 2 wheel nuts tight enough to hold the wheel on. Two more only got about half way before I was afraid of breaking the stud off. Oh well, they would be my "safeties". I went a few kms down the road and checked and retightened them. Every 40 kms or so I would check and tighten them. I took it slow: 80 km/h and kept checking. About 120 kms from home, the two wheel nuts were not holding adequately and the rim was suffering. It was now dark, and I though this adventure had come to an end. As a last ditch effort, I backed off the two safeties and tried tightening them again. They went! Woohoo!! I tightened all 4 and brought the truck home.

Oh, I had to stop for air for the passenger tire. I had a 12 Volt tire pump with me, but it wouldn't reach the tire. I could have pulled off the tire, and brought it to the pump, but I figured I would just pay the dollar for the air machine at the PetroCan. Well, as most Canadians know, air pump machines in winter SUCK! :mad: I did manage to get 40 PSI into the tire despite the slow leaky POS air pump. I'm getting to old for this ****.

Anyway, I made it home with my prize, 3 hours overdue. Mission complete!

Mmmm... Powerstroke. Lol
What are your plans?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Replacement transmission

Mmmm... Powerstroke. Lol
What are your plans?

Well, it so happens I have a practically new (less than 200km) NAPC transmission with transfer case, that I picked up a few years ago for $1,000. sitting in my shed out at my folks farm. :sly The F-250 will be it's new home. It's a shame the truck is so rusty, but it will have to do until I find some better sheet metal.

Yes, I bought the transmission before I bought the truck. cookoo The $4,000. trans. was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

Oh, and replace some wheel studs. :)

Last edited:

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed oil and fuel filter yesterday in the 2wd and did the same on the 4x4 today. Taking a drive to the farm to pull the grill and front bumper off of my 86 F150 tomorrow that will go onto the 4x4. It needs to warm up here windchill warnings again for mid -40's, need to get my other projects out of the shop so I can get my trucks in working in this constant -30 to -50 is getting old.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Drove it to town to take garbage to the landfill...

Got a leak in the tranny cooler lines up front, gotta run new lines and probably gonna put in a new cooler as well...

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it so happens I have a practically new (less than 200km) NADP transmission with transfer case, that I picked up a few years ago for $1,000. sitting in my shed out at my folks farm. :sly The F-250 will be it's new home. It's a shame the truck is so rusty, but it will have to do until I find some better sheet metal.

Yes, I bought the transmission before I bought the truck. cookoo The $4,000. trans. was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

Oh, and replace some wheel studs. :)

were you flat towing the truck?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed my block heater no longer works, but thanks to my massive batteries truck started just fine anyhow. Got some groceries.

Truck may soon find itself officially in "Toy" classification. I think I have a 2001 F350 Powerstroke in my near future.. will know more next week.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Transmission in!

Well got this bad boy bolted in.

I thought it was an E4OD, but after it was in, I got a new perspective on it. :)

Lots of work to do on it yet tho:
Ball Joints
U-joints
Fuel system reseal
Driveshaft Center Support Bearing
D-50 Rebuild
Wheel studs
Vent Window
sigh...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I thought the 4r100 started in 99?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By the way, bronco graveyard has a good deal on ball joints.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are so many different ways of approaching our builds and drivers it seems, some go a lot more towards technologically advanced whereas others go simplistic. Interesting.

All I did today was verify that the bottle heater I recently put on requires very little glowplugs in order to start my beast in this cold weater.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Towed hay with it.

Engine started vibrating. Has metal shavings in the oil... AGAIN! And I'm not even low on oil... Gonna be time for a rebuild pretty darn soon.