So what did you do with your truck today?

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you don't have AC in Florida and 99% of the time you're by yourself, it's important to have electric window regulators.......it makes the 2-55 system more efficient. I'd like to make the back windws electric one day.
Haha, I ain't got a/c either, and I'm in Texas! I got a sliding window I open behind me and use the corner windows! It's great if your moving, just don't stop ahaha.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out when you were driving behind me LOL
I don't have a sliding back glass, I was going to put one in but I decided I didn't need the temptation to even think about opening it while I'm driving. I had a factory slider, but I traded it to a guy for my tailgate.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but I just finished a cross country move from North Dakota to South Florida, ~2100 miles, pulling a fully loaded 16’ enclosed trailer. Had to shut off the ac on a few of the hills but it happily chugged along at 60-65. I noticed after a half day or so it seemed like the EGT wouldn’t spike as fast and there wasn’t as much black haze when pulling real hard, it seemed to like being worked hard. Got quite a few friendly waves from other OBS Ford and even GM drivers along the way.

Second day of the trip my brake controller stopped working. That wasn’t much fun. Had a couple of pucker moments but I’m now upgraded to a Redarc Towpro.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but I just finished a cross country move from North Dakota to South Florida,
Welcome to Florida. I'm in NW Florida, which is more like lower Alabama or Georgia culturally. I don't know anything about south Florida.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Florida. I'm in NW Florida, which is more like lower Alabama or Georgia culturally. I don't know anything about south Florida.
Thanks, people are a little different from ND, but not as far apart as I thought it would be. I can’t compare to northern FL as I have very little experience there. We have been here 6 weeks or so and like it so far. I think it will be odd (in a good way) as I get closer to fall and don’t have to prepare for winter.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, people are a little different from ND, but not as far apart as I thought it would be. I can’t compare to northern FL as I have very little experience there. We have been here 6 weeks or so and like it so far. I think it will be odd (in a good way) as I get closer to fall and don’t have to prepare for winter.
It's literally a totally different state up here. (I mean no insult) but once you pass Tallahassee, there all Yankees down there.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's literally a totally different state up here. (I mean no insult) but once you pass Tallahassee, there all Yankees down there.
Haha I’m sure you’re right. I remember we had some contractors I worked with for a couple years from Alabama. After I got to the point I could understand what they were saying they were a riot. It’s pretty crazy how much ranching goes on down here. It’s like western ND but the crops are different. Some of my friends back home didn’t believe me. They think everywhere in Florida is like the coasts.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I’m sure you’re right. I remember we had some contractors I worked with for a couple years from Alabama. After I got to the point I could understand what they were saying they were a riot. It’s pretty crazy how much ranching goes on down here. It’s like western ND but the crops are different. Some of my friends back home didn’t believe me. They think everywhere in Florida is like the coasts.
There's supposed to be more cattle in middle Florida then anywhere else this side of the Mississippi. And yeah, I always (like I did in the earlier post) point out the difference. My usual line in conversation is, "I'm in NW Florida, which is more like lower Alabama or Georgia, not palm trees and bikini babes" because that's what everyone assumes. But hey, if you're an IDI guy, learn about WMO it burns year round in these parts. And if you ever hit I-10, stop at Crestview and I'll explain the finer points of things like taters, maters, and nanners. I'll use words like y'all and ain't in such a way as to confound the wise.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There's supposed to be more cattle in middle Florida then anywhere else this side of the Mississippi.
I believe that this is true. There's a lot of horses there too.
"I'm in NW Florida, which is more like lower Alabama or Georgia, not palm trees and bikini babes"
Not that I have anything against bikini babes, but I'd still rather live in the panhandle if I was to ever move to Florida. It would be MUCH closer to what I'm used to and like. Palm trees? I had my fill of those while I was in Iraq as a civilian contractor. If I never see another palm tree, let's just say that I won't break down and cry.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Weelllll.... let me tell you what I did to my tow truck today:

First, good news: put diesel in it, crunk it up, finished up some dodigs, filled up the WMO tank and did a test drive!!! Oh yeah!

Second, ok news: got a caliper dragging, ehh no worries.

Third, the bad news: INSURANCE!!!! They can't just swap it! I'm not going into the tow truck business!!! My insurance lady is going to "look at my options" and get with me tomorrow! I don't want commercial insurance for a truck that's gonna be my driver! DANG!!!
I’m with Geico on my personal vehicles (5 vehicles) so we contacted them for the service van. $900 for 6 months, mandatory monitoring for a commercial policy. I was Not happy about being monitored but we went with it. Based on my driving habits they dropped it to $600 when it renewed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can say that I thought that Progressive gave me a great deal on insuring my Ex Wife. It was $176 for liability, but it turned out to not be that great when I got a renewal notice in 6 months. I didn't renew with them and went with State Farm where I got liability insurance for $172 for 12 months. Plus they didn't have a clause about using it to make money (commercial use).

Last edited: