So what did you do with your truck today?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weelllll.... let me tell you what I did to my tow truck today:

First, good news: put diesel in it, crunk it up, finished up some dodigs, filled up the WMO tank and did a test drive!!! Oh yeah!

Second, ok news: got a caliper dragging, ehh no worries.

Third, the bad news: INSURANCE!!!! They can't just swap it! I'm not going into the tow truck business!!! My insurance lady is going to "look at my options" and get with me tomorrow! I don't want commercial insurance for a truck that's gonna be my driver! DANG!!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Third, the bad news: INSURANCE!!!! They can't just swap it! I'm not going into the tow truck business!!! My insurance lady is going to "look at my options" and get with me tomorrow! I don't want commercial insurance for a truck that's gonna be my driver! DANG!!!

Yeah that's going to be interesting. That's one of the things holding me back from getting one too.

Good news is a friend of mine has commercial insurance and it's very reasonable. I got stupid prices when I was looking around several years ago ($6000/yr) but I didn't look very hard either. His is through "American National" apparently it used to be called Farm Family or something like that.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What? So if I bought a IDI tow truck I would need commercial insurance to drive it? Dang.

Understandable I guess from insurance perspective, as they think you'll be towing other people and making money off if it.

Never-Have-I-Ether

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You mark the truck "Not For Hire", meaning its not for commercial use and no DOT number. Then you find someone to give liability only insurance, state you only intend to tow personal vehicles. Past that Im not sure since dont know the extent of the laws in florida, but you should look into it further.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What? So if I bought a IDI tow truck I would need commercial insurance to drive it? Dang.

Understandable I guess from insurance perspective, as they think you'll be towing other people and making money off if it.

Never-Have-I-Ether
Yeah, I don't know yet...... tomorrow she says.......if I get insurance today, I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday....

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mark the truck "Not For Hire", meaning its not for commercial use and no DOT number. Then you find someone to give liability only insurance, state you only intend to tow personal vehicles. Past that Im not sure since dont know the extent of the laws in florida, but you should look into it further.
That's the plan, I'll keep y'all posted.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's going to be interesting. That's one of the things holding me back from getting one too.

Good news is a friend of mine has commercial insurance and it's very reasonable. I got stupid prices when I was looking around several years ago ($6000/yr) but I didn't look very hard either. His is through "American National" apparently it used to be called Farm Family or something like that.
If it goes $6K a year, I'll know where you can find a SWEEEET IDI tow truck in a few weeks.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Today I finished getting the truck *relatively* fully roadworthy again.
Sold the ranger a couple weeks ago, since my DD is my service truck, I hadn't put 2000 miles on the ranger in the past year and a half, figured I may as well get rid of it and get the IDI back to DD status.
Sold the ranger +$2400.
Set up for new tires on the truck, they couldn't get my AT3s, so I got Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx's, couldn't get 285/75R16s, so I got lt265/75R16s. -$1200, mounted and balanced.
Pulled off the left rear wheel to take them in, found out the drum was split in 2, the hub had separated from the ring, got it all torn down and found the parking brake cable had siezed with the shoe applied, not going to do one side, so new drums, shoes, hardware, wheel seals (since I'm already going to be in there), wheel cylinders (including the left rear brake line), and parking brake cables. -$778
Pulled off the hubs, right rear had play, pulled it out and no damage to the bearings, pull off the left one (which seemed perfectly fine) and the bearings were spalled to hell. :dunno -$358 for bearings, races, and new ratchet nuts.
Go to grease everything Wed night after getting the rears together, right outer TRE won't take grease. Replace the zerk and clean the channel, still won't grease, tap it with a hammer, won't take grease, tap it a little too forcefully on the top and it comes apart! -cuss-$118, and now the right inner won't grease properly after replacing the right outer. cookoo Fuggit for now, it's still tight.
New group 31 batteries, made all new cables out of 4/0 cable since I don't use that heavy of a weld lead anymore (good use for a piece of one of the leads), just had to buy the ends. -$270
Bled all the brakes with the fancy vacuum bleeder, put 4qts of DOT3 through it, still pulls air through RL, RR, and FR, only the FL brake had a solid stream of brake fluid. I put new calipers, pads, and rotors on it a couple years ago, they al look good still (barely any wear on anything). It stops, but it's a squishy pedal, pump the brakes a couple times and they firm up but it pulls to the right...... :frustrate

Took it on the road, rolled down the driver's window, friggin motor needs the nylon balls replaced in the gear and wouldn't go up without help, at least I know I have one of those kits around somewhere.
Stopped for fuel and filled 'er up, rear tank is leaking like nobody's business, I forgot about it needing replaced, haul ass home and go to drain out the rear tank, all of my fuel cans are already full, so now I have a few 5 gallon buckets of fuel....

All in all, a good day with the truck, it starts right up with the new batteries, drives nice down the road, and needs a few more things, but it's running again. :Thumbs Up

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced those nylon balls with 10mm nuts.

(Or #10??? I can't quite recollect.)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually bought a box of 100 from rockauto, should be a lifetime supply. Every vehicle I get needs them so, why not? I just picked up a 1990 towncar and guess what.......it definitely needs them on the back windows, but I'll do the fronts too just because.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my strongarm windows haha.

My left window though keeps getting stuck when rolling down, so I have to pull it down with one hand while rolling with the other. I think it's bad rubber for myself. I like simplicity though.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably #10. I've heard of using 1/4-20 hex nuts. If I recall correctly the nylon balls aren't much bigger than 10mm and 1/4-20 nuts are roughly 11mm (7/16") wide.
That's it. That's exactly what I used! Nylocks, at that! LOL Because they fill the space up a bit better than standard 1/4-20 nuts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online