So what did you do with your truck today?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with this! These new vehicle headlights are terrible even on low beams. When meeting them on the highway I just have to watch the white line and hope for the best.

James
I hear you on this. I was thinking it was my eye`s getting old and the lights affected them. I was thinking I need to wear my welding goggles.

Yeah their low beams are brighter than my high beams. I flash my lights at them and I get 6 back at me like lazer beams burning a hole through my eyes out the back of my head.
I keep saying Iam going to install 747 landing lights and vaporize them.

Use to be all cars had sealed beam head lights. There was SAE or DOT rules what you could have.
Now every MFG, and model coming out each year has some goofy new style composit lights.
Use to be simple, HD light went out, for $12 bucks bought a new one. I hate to think what the new assemblies cost, and no 2 are alike.
Few years down the road, and they are NLA, another thing to make your new puddle jumper obsolete.

Lot of you are too young to remember when turn signals appeared on vehicles. We learned to signal with our arm out the window.
(Is that even on the driving test today?)
The Govt., Congress or what ever agency almost voted to not have them, as it might confuse the other drivers.
Then Ford Cougar had the 3 lights that flashed in sequence for the rear turn signals. That almost got shot down.

Trucks had a cable or chain above the door opening you pulled down, so a metal arm came up from the side of the cab when you were going to turn. Some had reflectors and or lights.
Even some of the first VW Bugs had a little arm that flipped out.

How did we survive all that growing up?

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How are they if you stand in front of your truck from 40 feet away? Maybe crouching down to just above the cut-off point. I've found LED's to scatter light all over and be really obnoxious to other drivers. But I'm all for the tech when they can make it work in an existing housing!
After some though on this, I want to expand my answer a little bit more. This is all from the driver's seat so I have no idea how it looks(ed) from the view of oncoming traffic. I tried some cheap LED replacement lights in my truck in the past. Those did scatter the light something horrible. I could only see about 200-250 feet in front of me with the high beams on. That wasn't good. I was too nervous to drive over 50MPH after dark. I experimented by holding my hand out sideways so that it blocked about the lower 20% or so of the windshield. I could see farther like that than without my hand blocking some light so I knew that it was time to get rid of those ASAP. The last bulbs that I was running and these new ones are/were fine. I have no trouble seeing mech farther than I did with the el cheapo lights. In that regard, at least, these don't scatter the light. I can also say that they light up both ditches really well too so I'm happy about that.
(Is that even on the driving test today?)
Probably not. Although I've never used them, I do know how to use hand signals for turning. My dad felt that it was important enough for me to know that he showed me how to use them. Generally I wouldn't bother today. Most people would just be confused and wouldn't understand them.
Then Ford Cougar had the 3 lights that flashed in sequence for the rear turn signals.
I believe that they first came out on the Thunderbirds. The California Special Mustangs had them. I think that at least some of Shelby Mustangs had them too.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally I wouldn't bother today. Most people would just be confused and wouldn't understand them.
I can definitely tell you that very few around my area have a clue. A few years ago I had a close call while using a hand signal trying to turn left.

My 75 cj5 the turn signals don't work most of the time. I was on the highway getting ready to make a left turn, arm stuck straight out pointing left ( I'm 6'3" and had atleas 3/4 of my arm outside the vehicle). Get to where I'm almost ready to start turning,glance in the mirror and I see a blur in the mirror and some stupid f'er hits the end of my fingers with their mirror as they flew around me.

I was so pissed off that I would have chased them down but I knew that at a top safe speed of about 45mph in that jeep I knew it was pointless to even try.

James

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucks had a cable or chain above the door opening you pulled down, so a metal arm came up from the side of the cab when you were going to turn.
This one I don't remember. I have a couple of motorcycles without turn signals so I have to use hand signals on those. Most people drive like they're running time trials for Nascar so even if they understand what you're signaling, I don't think they care.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a horrible picture, only one I could find on my phone with it.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something tells me the jeep/trailer and the tanker trailer haven't moved in a minute...

The trailer with the tank had been there for a good while. Judging by the height of grass around the jeep I would guess it had been parked there for 2-3 weeks.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

James
DANG!!! that's the jeep I always keep my eye out for. The problem is that there's a couple vehicles that it's not worth asking about, specifically fox body mustangs, short box Chevy trucks from the 80s, El Caminos(not that I care about either of those) and jeeps. You'll always hear about how they just ordered a part and they're going to get it going this weekend or anything other than "YES, get it out of my yard!"

Seriously, love the faded red jeep...... and I see that WMO tank.......some of y'all are coming around on the down low......lol!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. and I see that WMO tank.......some of y'all are coming around on the down low......lol!
I do plan to eventually get setup on WMO, but that is my farm diesel tank.

That jeep is actually supposed to be allis chalmers orange, the guy I bought it from painted it with cheap tractor paint that when it oxidizes turn a pinkish color.

James

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

James
My BIL has one that exact color, 83 6.9 4 x 4.

There is a guy down the road couple miles with an 89 that color extra cab 4 x 4 that color.
Think he wants to get rid of it, needs an IP.
Not sure why he took off the original.
I have several used one`s from PNP, Gave one to him to get it started, brought it back said it didn`t work, not a Diesel guy so probably air issue. Even a used one should have got it to cough an sputter some.

Think he wants $3K for it.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No worries FedEx seems to think my address doesn't exist, or atleast they sure can't find it.

James
Lucky you! I had one driver slide a small envelope almost completely under the doormat by my front door. I usually use the one on the side next to my driveway. I glanced and didn't see the envelope. After filing a complaint with the Ebay seller, I FINALLY found the envelope after the driver shared a picture of him holding up the envelope in front of my house. I moved the doormat to the side door to prevent it from happening again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online