So a DIY rebuild of a DMF is possible.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like the only thing keeping you from rebuilding one would be the friction surface, the springs and the plastic bushings. I would bet you could come up with the springs and bushings with a little research. Bushing could probably be made easy enough as well. Then comes the question of resurfacing. I have been told you can't resurface a DMF, is that just because the two halves move making it impossible to hold or is there another reason? If it is disassembled, I would guess you could true up the surface by placing it on the friction surface. Might require a jig of some sort but I haven't seen the inside of one of these yet. Luckily, I think mine is good. It just had a clutch job fairly recently before I tore it down and the moron who did it put the disk in upside down... even though it is clearly marked "this side to flywheel". :rolleyes:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like the only thing keeping you from rebuilding one would be the friction surface, the springs and the plastic bushings. I would bet you could come up with the springs and bushings with a little research. Bushing could probably be made easy enough as well. Then comes the question of resurfacing. I have been told you can't resurface a DMF, is that just because the two halves move making it impossible to hold or is there another reason? If it is disassembled, I would guess you could true up the surface by placing it on the friction surface. Might require a jig of some sort but I haven't seen the inside of one of these yet. Luckily, I think mine is good. It just had a clutch job fairly recently before I tore it down and the moron who did it put the disk in upside down... even though it is clearly marked "this side to flywheel". :rolleyes:

If you have already replaced the clutch, I bet your flywheel is loose.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a suspicion that the flywheel was replaced with the clutch. It is awful nice looking for 180,000 miles. Besides the disk in backwards it's leaking from the crank bolts so probably no sealant. It's very tight with the scientific wiggle test. I'll check it carefully as things are going back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online