Snap On MT 480 Question

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Methinks I'm missing an adapter? It has the lens - can anyone tell me what all is needed to thread the luminosity probe into the GP hole, and whether it's even obtainable? I can return the unit within the week, so it's not the end of the world. (And if it's hopeless and the recommendation is to return it, what should I get instead?)

Many thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are missing the adapter that actually goes into the head, unfortunately that seems to be the key part that is no longer available new, and hard to find in usable condition. Unless you got it real cheap I would send it back..

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer - that's what I was afraid of. Any thoughts on what I should replace it with?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have several of the luminosity probes from both Snapon and Kent Moore. I offered them to members here for $125.00 each plus shipping. Had some takers but no funds ever showed up...:dunnocookoo Sanpon no longer offers the MT 160 or 161 probe so your meter is worthless without it. Kent Moore still sells theirs but for right at $300.00....:eek: I will make you the same offer I made to others. Now for a differant meter.. I like the Kent Moore J33300-A meters. They are supported by Kent Moore too. I have found its very difficult to find them offered on ebay too. New cost is around $800.00 but I was offered one at $650.00 a today only offer.... Yesh sure. I'm supposed to jump on that... Parts are expensive for them too. The luminosity probe is $275.00 but still offered. The magnetic probe for the crank is $287.00 so be looking for the complete meter on ebay. Usually they run about $150.00 or so. Usually they are the J33300 meters and are the older none supported meters. I found only one repair shop in the US that offers to repair them. Farret is another great meter. Several members have them. I have several Snapon MT1480 meters too. Some time back a few of us here were able to buy brand new meters still in the factory box. They were time capsules but... none of them worked....:cry: I found a shop that was the factory repair shop so I sent mine in. Turns out the meter works great but the black box used for the pulse timeing has an issue. They can't repair it. But its new and kinda a thing of the past I will keep. Mel uses this type of meter and its a great meter. Hopefully I will find the black box on ebay again. I did find one but missed it.... I don't feel the luminosity probe timing is the best or easiest way to time our idi engins. Others feel it the only true way to time our engines... With the Kent Moore J33300 meters you have a choice or plus or luminosity timeng. So does the Snapon MT 1480. Hope this helps you out.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo, sounds like scrapping the plan and going to a Kent Moore setup is a little pricey. You're saying you've got what I need to get up and running (assuming the rest of the meter isn't junk)? I'm definitely interested if so, unless there's another route. For months I've been waffling between the old Snap On and the Ferret. I'd go with the Ferret since it's new (and hence theoretically "supported"), but I've never heard or seen any reviews of it.

http://www.gxtauto.com/Ferret/765/765.html

EDIT: did find this great post: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?p=482137#post482137

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the part your missing resembles a glow plug with a window to keep it basic.
as pictured below. i have three.
(none for sale.please no ***.)

icanfixall can hook you up.
(that's a freaky crazy price.-very generous imho.i wouldn't give mine away for that.)
i agree it may not be the easiest method,however if you know your cetane rating of the fuel,it is the most accurate method.it's not a hard job anyway,even if pulse timing is easier.
the hardest part is getting to the ip bolts and turning the ip.
removing a glow plug and screwing in a probe isn't exactly difficult.;)
knowing where to set your timing via ATDC is not like the pulse method.there is no "one timing setting fits all" like pulse timing.
a hydrometer is your friend.

if you do not find vintage tools fun to own and operate,and don't find this kind of stuff fun to do,i would send the meter back and get yourself a more basic to use tool.

Attachments

• snap-on mt480.jpg
    snap-on mt480.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 38

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah, I'm kind of headed that way. I'd love to play with it, but, thinking I was getting everything I needed, I paid too much for this meter and am sending it back. If I knew it worked, it's a no-brainer to get the adapter from icfa. He's good at hooking people up like that. ;Sweet Not enough time.:mad:

Thanks a lot for breaking it down.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Ferret adapter and it works fine, except on a van it is nearly impossible to position the timing light correctly and also be able to see... I think on a pickup it would not be a problem. I may sell it as I picked up a Rotunda meter last year, which I haven't tried yet, but assuming it all works the ferret would be redundant.
JwS

roy batty

Reaction score
Say icanfixitall :

Still got a lumi probe for this MT480- I could use one - for 7.3 idi if that matters ?

cheers in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online