Smokeless tuning

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 2500 4x4 manual truck.I bought the truck turned up abit.rumor has it all the tuning was done while it was strapped to a dyno.It seems that way because the EGTS are always within reason,it has TONS of power,and it only smokes if you really try hard.I don't know the exact power numbers it is at,but from what ive been told the pump is maxed out with stock injectors,and the turbo goes all the way up to max boost at 35 PSI.The truck has a 550 HP valair ceramic clutch because stock couldn't hold the power.

As for the smoking thing,The truck will not smoke unless I have my foot more than 3/4 into it.So it never smokes in town,but out on the highway if I go to pass 5+ cars in a row it will cover them with smoke.Some people like the smoke and want theres to smoke more.I want mine to smoke less.the smoke just gives other people more of a reason to hate diesels and its just dollars blowing out the tailpipe.

Is there a way to turn down the smoke at full throttle without decreasing power or affecting the truck everywhere else?

on the highway egts are 500 post turbo and 6-700 while pulling a trailer.Even passing a bunch of people at the same time will only make the egts climb to 1000 or so but it cools down immediately after I get off the throttle.Pretty much don't even get to see the egts up that high.

so anyway to make it smoke less at full throttle without loosing power?

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
with more afc tuning it's possible
with fuel plate mods and everything you should be around 300rwhp
12v's are smokey if anything you could look into a larger turbo to clean smoke up like hx 40 would be cheap
where is your egt probe at ?
mine is in manifold right before turbo?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy to see someone else that dislikes smoking at every stop sign. Now if we could just cure that nasty cummins rattle/noise then we would have a perfect world! lol

:angel:

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so its looking like my turbo might be starting to get worn out.It used to boost up to 35 and in town it was right around 5.Now it will only pull 30 and there is zero boost around town unless accelerating from a stop or something.In town I can get it to smoke by giving it about 5/8 throttle.So its looking like turbo replacement/upgrade will be in my future soon. I'm thinking a HX40 with a waste gated 14 exhaust housing would work nice.Even when the truck was pulling 35 PSI it would still blow a ton of smoke at the top end so that tells me a HX35 wasn't supplying enough volume to feed the top end.I heard that 21 PSI with an HX35 is enough to make 250 HP smokeless.So any recommendations as for a turbo that will make more boost at the low and top end?The truck is NOT a play toy but a work truck that tows up the hills around here.heaviest Ive towed with it was 10K lbs.It did alright just I had to shift into 4th up some steep hills to keep the EGT's in check.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rather than start a new thread it seems my autometer EGT gauge or probe died.It was working fine before then I shut the truck off and now the needle doesn't move at all.Just stays at 0.Ive checked the underhood wiring connections and everything is tight.I haven't pulled the gauge mount yet to check for problems there.So is this a wiring or gauge problem?BTW the light for gauge still works just the needle doesn't move at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online