Smoke When Starting

jdb32

Reaction score
Obviously nobody in this forum minds black smoke (otherwise you would own a different vehicle), but sometimes, when my truck is really cold (ei., sitting for almost a full day and/or below 45 degrees)... Sometimes I get a small puff of white smoke when I start her up. After the initial start I never see it again. I have read that white smoke is bad... Could this be a problem?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
it's not a problem - I doubt you will find one that doesn't do it under the conditions you describe.

dodge_is_diesel

Reaction score
yeah my dads 12 valve will do the same thing. its normal. actually when you start your truck you can give it a little bit of throttle and it will roll over only once and it will pump out a lot of black smoke. just something i figured i would mention

youngcummins

Reaction score
yea, nothin to worry bout. dads 97 sounds like it is going to kill itself when it is below 30, it fires like 1 or 2 and the white smoke just pores. we think it is a bad injector. but plug it in and it is almost as good as my 96 which just has the smallest puff of white followed by a could of blue. i know it will start with no problem at 9 degrees and sitting for almost 3 weeks.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal, nothing to worry about.

Watch somebody start a diesel at -45 and you'll think it's on fire, have 5 injectors missing and a bad rod knock. The cylinders have to warm up a bit to burn clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger