Smoke, lots, after glow plug replacement

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Alright, working on a '99 F550 7.3L ZF-6 4x4 125k.

Yesterday, replaced the glow plugs. All of 'em went in and out smooth, no bad threads. Replaced the EBP tube and *cleaned* the sensor pretty well. Didn't mar up the diaphragm in there. Put it together and now the truck smokes grayish smoke unbelievable bad! Almost comical how thick the smoke is. Totally choking bad.

-Now, the Crank-case adapter vent was really oily before I removed it, as well as all the air and turbo tubes past it. It's not the turbo leaking oil, it was oil out of the ccav. Does that thing go bad and let tons of oil through?

I've never had this happen after doing a routine GP replacement on a PSD. It idles and runs smooth with no hickups under full power all the way to governor up til 4th gear, just blows out a choking cloud

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have the full factory exhaust w/cat? If so and you didnt blow out the gp bores before you removed them you got oil in the cyls and its that burning off in the cat and muffler. The first time I changed injectors and gps in a truck with fact exhaust it smoked grey like crazy for about 10 miles,.I thought something was wrong till I realized what it was and it cleared up.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
The fella didn't have compressed air but we used a towel to soak up the oil before doing the GP's (Beru). The truck did have the factory exhaust and the CAT. But it's Fixed!

The Crank Case Adapter Vent on the driver's side valve cover was to blame. Before doing anything we drove the truck 55 miles to try to burn out the oil in the cat. No luck, just tons of billowing smoke. We replaced the CCAV, and then ran the truck down the highway. The first 5 miles we smoked out the whole freeway again, but it quickly cleaned up.

The old CCAV was completely saturated in oil, not just a residual amount. The guy at Ford said he had never sold a CCAV before, they're not supposed to go bad... Anyway it's working, and NAPA had 6637 air filters on sale for $40 so we did a DIY-Tymar for kicks.