Smaller spare tire?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

As I've mentioned before, I got a set of replacement tires for my truck on the weekend before last. When I got the tires, I also got a replacement spare.

Only problem is, the replacement spare I got is a 265/75R16 tire, and the other tires I have are 255/85R16's. That makes for a 2" or so smaller diameter tire.

If I lose a main tire and have to put the spare on, is the smaller size going to be an issue? Or is it okay?

If it's going to be an issue, I'll see if I can find a used 255/85 somewhere...otherwise I'll put the spare I've got back under the rear fuel tank.

Thanks!

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
If you have a limited slip or a locker in the back and have a flat it can be an issue. In which case just put the spare on the front. Open differentials it won't do any harm.

MUDDY

Reaction score
i would not run it except on frnt w/ hubs frewheel. find a 255 spare and do it right

John Deere

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I agree with Roland, just try not to run it any longer than you have to.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rear's limited slip and I imagine playing musical chairs with tires will be the last thing on my mind if I ever get a flat, so I'm thinking Muddy's right and I should do it properly. ;) I figured that would be the answer, but also figured it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks again :cool

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Ya I rode with a guy that had a LS but didnt know it. He got a flat, put on the spare, man we found out real quick about his LS. Kept locking up and chirping one tire. We drove 3 blocks, and moved the little guy to the front. He ended up buying a bigger size spare when he got the flat fixed. Changing a tire sucks, but having to do it twice really sucks. Specially when its freezing outside, and you dont have any jack stands.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there, done it ... had a rear flat 60 miles from town at 12:30 am on the wife's Suburban. I put the spare on the front, then moved the good tire to the rear and it pulled all the way home. Bought the right size spare that weekend.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Just remember for you guys with training wheels (duallies) that if you have a flat on the rear you can just take off the offending tire spin the lugs back on and enjoy. Even when towing or hauling in most cases, because remember if you would have a single rear wheel now you would be the same. Been there - done that... Bad thing is when you have flat on the front, then you have to put something back in it's place, can't fudge that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online