slow noisy wipers

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wipers have had a few issues, the motor is very loud, sometimes they are slow (typically when it's could out), sometimes after being on for a while the intermittent turns into low with no delay. Often when this occurs I turn the switch off and they keep on going for few minutes. Today it was a little cold (38 F) and they wouldn't wipe. They moved a little when I first turned them on ,maybe 1/2 an inch, and then nothing. Tried different speeds and all that to no avail.
Can anybody tell me if this is a switch issue or a motor issue? Maybe both? Should I try the re-solder outlined in the tech article?
Thanks for any help
Nick

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The motors definitely need some help over the years. They get old, and the grease gets thick and they don't spin as well. There is a switch in the unit also, which helps make sure it parks in the correct position, and this may be sticking. I'd say swap the motor first and see what happens.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wipers have had a few issues, the motor is very loud, sometimes they are slow (typically when it's could out), sometimes after being on for a while the intermittent turns into low with no delay. Often when this occurs I turn the switch off and they keep on going for few minutes. Today it was a little cold (38 F) and they wouldn't wipe. They moved a little when I first turned them on ,maybe 1/2 an inch, and then nothing. Tried different speeds and all that to no avail.
Can anybody tell me if this is a switch issue or a motor issue? Maybe both? Should I try the re-solder outlined in the tech article?
Thanks for any help
Nick

mine did the same thing for a while, then eventually quit and i found it was the motor. Bought one from Rock auto, forget the price at the moment but it was not too bad and seems to work just fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My wiper quit last year. Turns out one of the motor magnets came loose from the motor. It made all kinds of noise. Any ford tarus or similar car uses the same wiper motor and is real easy to find in a wrecking yard. Its also easy to remove from said cars. Our trucks are very hard to remove the motors. You sometimes need to remove the hood so you don't scratch the cowl and hood. First the cowl cover needs to come off. Also the hood to cowl seal in the motor compartment needs to be removed. Then there is a funny clip that keeps the wiper linkage connected. Be careful because that clip will spring off and take flight. After you have that off the easy part is the three bolts to remove the motor from the firewall. Then pull it off. Remove the arm and install it on the new motor and start installing the new motor. Napa sells rebuilt motors too. There are two differant motors available.

sassyrel

Reaction score
another thing that gets affected--and did on mine--is the pivots at the bottom of the wiper, where it attaches to the arm. was dead dry, and almost wouldnt move. took apart,oiled,works fine since. but as said--that WASNT even fun getting at-----------try and change the wiper motor in a 69-79 body style---REAL FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online