slow filling tank

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I have an 87 cab and chassis with a wide bed on it. It is VERY slow going filling the rear tank. The tank is only slightly lower than the filler opening. There is a shaped plastic pipe within the hose that seems to maybe play a crucial role in efficient filling. Anybody got some insight?

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
It is difficult to actually get the fuel to the tank, due to the angle of the angle of the filler neck.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can trim off excess filler tube that goes in the tank, and clean out the vent tube on the top (like IDIot said above)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To start with, this is a very common problem with any of these diesel trucks.

The vent in the top of the tank does not play much of a role when filling the tank. It's main role is to let air in as the engine uses fuel.

There is so much fuel going in, they had to have some way to let a lot of air out of the tank. That's what the plastic line inside the filler is all about. They are trying to keep all the air coming up the filler neck away from the fuel going in. If you don't, the fuel will start "gulping" as it interferes with the air coming back up the filler pipe and it will splash up and hit the station filler gun shutting it off.

I had a terrible time with my pickup. The first advice I got was to get rid of the tube within the tube in the filler. I put it all back together, and thought I had fixed it but it really didn't do anything, it would still spit back foam and cut the station gun off.

The next thing I did was drop the tanks, and take the original vent and plastic roll-over valve out of the grommet in the top of each tank. I found a copper elbow and solder that to a short piece of copper pipe and that slipped tightly into the grommet. Whatever elbow you use, it has to be very tight, there is hardly any room above the rear tank for this setup. At the end of the copper pipe I slipped a piece of 1/2" rubber hose onto it, tied a loop in it way up inbetween the inner and outer bed, and let it hang down with a piece of old window screen on it to keep the bugs out.

The last modification fixed it. I can even fill it with one of the 18 wheeler nozzles, but I have to be careful with those. When I had the filler out I knocked it out larger so I could use the big truck filler guns. The larger vent system now lets a lot of the air go through it when filling, reducing the gulping from all the air coming up the filler hose.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can also maybe swap to the newer styled filler necks. Like 94+
I can use the big truck nozzle.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
That top vent literally is just a pinhole and does nothing to vent during filling. Do the external vent mod and drill that out (I melted with a hot drill bit to enlarge so as not to crack it) and it will help a lot. The problem with my rear tank was the plastic hose in the fill neck was kinked. Even when teh factory vent setup is not kinked or plugged it leaves a lot to be desired. Do the mod.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SEARCH here for FUEL Filler Mod that should alleviate and answer all yer questions.

pearls of wisdom right there!
from the search function on google add oilburners to the querry.
My 88 would *** all over yer boots if ya just plugged the gun into the filler,,, the trick was to back it out and be past the vent and shoot for the other side and deep.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
If it's slow to the point where only a few ounces at a time are going in then the plastic bypass fell out and into the tank. You simply pull it out, reinstall it, secure it, reassemble.

When it is working properly no mod is necessary.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's slow to the point where only a few ounces at a time are going in then the plastic bypass fell out and into the tank. You simply pull it out, reinstall it, secure it, reassemble.

When it is working properly no mod is necessary.

I am not sure about the diesels, but I do know Ford messed with this system some with the gas trucks, they must have had problems with it. The early trucks (1980's) had a large rubber filler hose with a smaller plastic hose that clipped on the inside of the larger hose. The fuel went into the tank through the larger hose, the air came up the smaller plastic hose. You are correct, many times the plastic hose would come out of the clip and be dangling in the way inside the larger hose.

Sometime later they changed the way this worked. They took a smaller rubber hose and attached it to the center of the filler. The fuel ran into the tank through the smaller hose. The larger hose carried the air back out of the tank, and these are the ones with the air slot in the metal filler that everyone takes a screwdriver and expands out.

I am not sure what causes the original problem. I would not think Ford would have sold my truck like it was, I could hardly get any fuel into it. My setup was original and looked fine with no obvious failures or problems.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look into the fill neck. See the inner metal piece. At the top is a small slot cut into it. Thats where the air comes out as you fill the tank. The air flows up around the inner tube that the fuel flows into the tank. Use a screw driver to open up that small vent in the metal piece in the fill neck. It will help but doing to tank fill mod is the best idea yet. I did it to both of my tanks.