slow cranking..shot starter?

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK a few weeks ago 85 6.9 started cranking over slower than normal and would not start instantly like normal. So I've cleaned every connection from batteries to grounds on block and even all connections on selinoid and replaced the ground wire from pass bat to engine block..is it safe to say my strtar is shot? Thanks in advance

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also, check voltage at the starter. While cranking and without.
On my psd, I had a bad positive on the passenger battery. It was tight, just wasn't getting a good connection.
Had about a .3 volt difference from the actual battery lug to the terminal.
Definitely cranks faster now.
I'm sure the higher compression of the Idi would make it more pronounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the batteries are fully charged that illiminates a charging issue. If the terminals are god and clean thats also out of the picture. Bout only thing left is the starter. What type is the starter. Direct drive or gear reduction.

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

:dunno..not to familiar on the differences,I don't know how well u can see it but there is a Mitsubishi emblem On it also

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If thats what it says then its probably a gear reduction and not a direct drive. Did you install it or someone else.

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The P.O installed it at some point ( he owned it from 97 till 2013)and guessing it's just tired. I hate just throwing parts at it and getting advice here is alway good! I will order a starter from napa? Are they of good quality? And have them throw on a load test to the batts for good measure

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
napa rebuilds are 50-50 just like all rebuilds. I always use a high torque from db electrical.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm with Russ about the DB starters. I'm not a fan of the parts house rebuilds round here. I have a private mom and pop rebuild shop I have done business with for nearly 40 years now. They have never let me down ever...

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I third the hi-torque from DB Electrical! I've got fresh batteries and it fires up like a ****! Seriously, to me it sounds like a new 24v Dodge cranking over -

If work didn't block YouTube I would have a before and after video for you, but the DB starter cranks it stupid fast. When the truck is at operating temp I bump the key to start it, literally just a bump.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a chit ton,I now know wich starter I will be buying.. glad to see all the faith in these starters make this choice an easy one! Thanks again :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim

Members online