Sliding the stock fuel plate

bagged89

Reaction score
my buddy has a 96 3500 2wd with an auto. yesterday we slide the fuel plate as far forward as possible and cranked the afc all the way. he has a straight pipe stacks exh and likes to fill them with smoke lol. it actually doesn't smoke very much and it also did nothing for power. I thought you could get more power from sliding the stock fuel plate? am i wrong?
thanks in advance guys

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You do get more power from sliding the fuel plate but it's not much from what I understand now changing the fuel plate out for a different one will make a big difference... but with an auto tranny I would be very careful with doing that because the auto tranny is not going to put up with the extra power for long unless it has been beefed up a bit.

I noticed barely any difference when I backed out my AFC wheel and even cranked it back in some more from when I first got it as to control some of the smoke. That smoke was not giving me any power all it was doing was skyrocketing my EGT's before the turbo had a chance to keep up - once behind the 8ball then your gonna play heck getting back out from behind it.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might as well buy the aftermarket fuel plate, like he said,,, by doing what you did all you are accomplishing is high egt's. and if your gonna do the fuel plate, you might want to think about beefin up that tranny with a valve body, BIG cooler and deep trans pan at least.

MUDDY

Reaction score
if the plate is ALL the way fwd the gov lever may not contact it correctly. move it back a smidgin and power will improve. imo,,,,,,get an aftermarket plate. i used a #6 plate stock location [slightly ahead of center] when i had a stock tranny and was fairly happy

rubberfish

Reaction score
#5 plate all the way forward ;Sweet
Although,,it was strongly suggested that I use a #10 for towing and daily driving.
I never have been a good listener. :rotflmao :rotflmao
#5's to 0 plates get hot quick. Good for back and forth to work. :thumbsup:
Try a #10 plate with a stock auto, he'll notice the difference.:)

Loud & Obnoxious

Reaction score
If you moved it forward (towards the front of the truck) you will gain about 40rwhp (dynoed) which is alot and you will notice it! Did you also move the AFC housing forward? If not move it forward too.My guess is the tranny isn't transfering the power to the ground, its probably just slipping thru it. Or he may have a fuel problem, have him replace the overflow valve ($60) also his timing may have slipped so you might check that.

Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
Here is a profile of a #10 plate and also a pic of a #1-- (10 and a 0 combined) off to the left of that pic is your stock plate,the one with all the different notches, its easy to grind your own and then just polish it up good, mount it all the way forward and then back it up just a touch.

Attachments

• 100 plate.jpg
    100 plate.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 32
  • mildplate.JPG
    mildplate.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member