Single mass zf 5 rattle

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all was wondering at what rpms do your smf converted zf 5's start and stop rattling? I get noise till 1500 rpm and sometimes after 2300 rpm. Doesn't seem normal but truck has done it since install of the zf

Last edited:

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct its not the smf its the zf5 that is exhibiting gear roll over noise. Poor wording on my part. Have edited op for clarity

Last edited:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very dependent on which clutch disc you run. I've been through this on mine. The "HD" disc doesn't have as many springs in the hub as the standard duty, and exhibited WAY more rollover noise. I swapped the clutch out for a standard duty unit and it's much quieter. I adjusted my idle up to 850 or so RPM and its as quiet as the DMF ever was.

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I guess I just thought it wouldn't have to rev so high to be quiet. Any way to quiet the rattling and grinding down?

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to remember that when I change clutch discs. We did adjust it to 900 rpm or so it helps a bit

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amount of noise you have also depends on how smooth your engine runs. If your timing is a little different and your engine hits harder when it fires, then it's going to make more noise.