Sidewinder system years; will a 1987 kit fit my 1994?

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Can anyone here answer this question?
I have access to low priced Banks Sidewinder kit that currently sits on a 1987 truck with a 7.3 IDI.

I am going to upgrade my 7.3 idiT as soon as I get my hands on compatible parts. This Sidewinder system looks similar and like a close fit to my stock turbo system, but not knowing these engines well- it could be a no go. I hate to find out the hard way.......

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse my novice approach to a factory turbo is your "87 idit not a banks or if not what brand is your turbo an you can always swap parts, if you have a factory tubro I would think.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any IDI turbo kit fits on any 6.9 or 7.3 IDI. It's all interchangable. The only differences in some kits are auto vs manual - downpipe positioning and/or dipstick brackets.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a kit from an IDI with an auto will fit on my ZF-5 truck? As if I can ever find one at a reasonable price ;)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Some kits are transmission specific. They will only work with an automatic or a manual.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are three, or four if you get real picky, generational differences on Banks turbos for the Ford IDI. The older non-wastegated models are trans specific. even one from a T19 will not fit onto a ZF5. It's that specific. Why? the uppipes come around the sides fo the trans and up the backside to go into the turbo. the later wastegated turbos are not as trans specific, but you still will have fun getting a trans dipstick to work.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Or modify it yourself, Exhaust tubing is not difficult to modify if you are capable of working and welding metal.