should i trade my 94 sc idi for a 96 cc/lb powerstroke?

clp13294

Reaction score
hey guys i have my truck up on craigslist for ***** but i just got an offer that is really hard to turn down right now but im holding strong and havent told him yay or nay yet. i like having the single cab because the overall truck is shorter and i think it looks better, the long bed crew cab just looks huge and i havent decided if i like it yet. but on the other hand i NEED the extra cab space. i race motocross and i have 2 gear bags worth of gear plus ez ups and everything that i currently cant fit in my truck so that makes me want to say yes, on top of that theres 7 people in my family so im always squeezing people into my truck, it would be nice to have a row of back seats for sure. the stroke needs a glowplug relay and that is the first thing im fixing if i get it because the weathers starting to change over. the stroke is also from arizona so it has no cancer from new england..yet. idk its a tough decision, what do you guys think?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
How many miles? Any maintenance records on it? If over 200k i would count on putting injectors and injector seals on the psd. I went back to an idi for simplicity reasons. I almost bought a crew cab psd but couldnt bring myself to do
It.

clp13294

Reaction score
the strokes got 150k on it. i probably wont even put 50k on it i go through trucks too fast. he picked the truck up from arizona via ebay about 4 months ago so im not sure if he has records on the maintenance, he did tell me he replaced the drivers side valve cover gasket and he also said the passenger side is beginning to weep a little bit, how hard are those to replace? is there anything else specific to psds to look for? i want to try and take a peek at it tomorrow or sunday and hopefully come up with a decision.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Personally i would go for it. i love the look of the cc/lb obs trucks. i think they just look mean.:D

I would get more info on why he bought the truck 4 months ago and now wants to get rid of it. that raised my attention a little bit. there may be more than bad valve cover gaskets and glow plug relay. Just saying.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I would prolly go for it with those miles. The one I looked at had 318k lol. Post pics of it!

clp13294

Reaction score
yeah that immediately threw up a red flag with me, 4 months with a truck and you want to downgrade?hmmmmm. he doesnt know what he has though, he asked me how different the IDI was to the powerstroke, so i have him by the balls. ill reply with some pictures in a minute i just need to save them real quick

clp13294

Reaction score
i did forget to mention that when he first emailed me he said the sole reason of getting rid of the truck is because he needs a regular cab for towing. ive never heard of that as a reason to sell a truck, you can tow with any size cab truck but i mean if thats the only reason he's selling it then fine by me, lol. i dont mind doing the valve cover gasket and gp relay, the truck is 2 years newer than mine and its a powerstroke which i originally was going to swap into my truck anyway, but i just buttoned my truck up in the last month so its a tough pill to swallow knowing the whole front of the truck would be coming out if i decided to do it.

Attachments

• rye_n_ford_021(1).jpg
    rye_n_ford_021(1).jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 9
  • truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 7
  • rye_n_ford_020.jpg
    rye_n_ford_020.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 9

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
DUDE-Drool-Drool

If all that is wrong with it is valve cover gaskets and a glow plug relay then i would be all over that. that thing looks nice and clean.

Would you guys be trading trucks or trade + cash?

clp13294

Reaction score
straight up, truck for truck no cash. hand eachother our titles, shake hands and part ways. im looking at it tomorrow afternoon, looks like im not sleeping tonight! trucks never seen a tuner and he tells me it has a 6 inch turbo back straightpipe that turns out before the tire. i said ahhh did you cut a hole in your firewall? cant fit anything bigger than a 4 inch downpipe on there and for a 4 inch you have to do a lottttt of persuading.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
straight up, truck for truck no cash. hand eachother our titles, shake hands and part ways. im looking at it tomorrow afternoon, looks like im not sleeping tonight! trucks never seen a tuner and he tells me it has a 6 inch turbo back straightpipe that turns out before the tire. i said ahhh did you cut a hole in your firewall? cant fit anything bigger than a 4 inch downpipe on there and for a 4 inch you have to do a lottttt of persuading.

Cool.

Mabey try to get some more pics. we all love those.

Honestly if you are serious about puting a 7.3 psd into your '94 i would trade this guy for his '96. i am sure it will need some odds and ends but you will still be $$$$$$$ ahead when you get those siffted out. That is kind of how my truck worked out for me. i got it for $150. i don't know how much i have into it but i know i am still money ahead.

That is a sweet looking truck. i think the alluninum rims would look better as well, allthough i don't mind the look of the black rims and white paint. i would rather have a 4 inch exhaust than a 6 inch, but for a straight up trade how can you nit pick like that?LOL

Good luck.;Sweet

clp13294

Reaction score
yeah, he said it needed an interior door handle too but ive already broken 2 of the damn things so i know its nothing out of the norm. i will take plenty of pictures tomorrow and i will let you guys know what the outcome is, hopefully i will be driving a new truck next week.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Saaweeeeet;Sweet.

I have never driven a cc/lb, but i will tell you that a ec/lb is not bad at all. i have gotten pretty good at turning it around in tight spaces. i honestly don't even notice the extra length with my truck vs. my dad's reg cab long box dodge 1500. every now and then you will really botch a parking job but you just have to park a little farther away from the store or where ever. also you have to anticipate when parking in a parking lot. i will use my community college for example. i get there when the parking lot is empty. when you are in that situation you can't just say i will park nice and close to my class, b/c once the lot fills up you run out of room quik. other people don't realize that you have a long truck and will park right on top of you and don't give you room.

Just my $.02

clp13294

Reaction score
oh believe me ive thought about that lol, i live in the city-ish so parking is already tough around here. school shouldnt be bad its a decent size parking lot and it doesnt usually fill up to the max so ill park a bit out of the way,if people still manage to park up my ass then someones car is gettin a chain wrapped around there axel and gettin a tug:) i just need to remember i got another 4 feet of truck behind me because im so used to driving mine. hopefully it wont be bad