Should I buy it? ZF5;Unknown condition

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Its a zf5 out of a 96 PSD f350 4x4. They will pull it out for me and guarantee it for a month if I fork over $850. I dunno if I can count on their guarantee. :dunno

This is the first functional (I can move the gear shift through the gears smoothly) zf5 I have seen here in the junk yards on the central coast.

I have seen members on this board buy zf5s for as low as $100.

I was thinking I could sell my e4od on craigslist while it is still in the truck to prove that it works, take the cash and my buddies truck to the JY and pick up my zf5.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the "clicking" you're feeling is the detent balls on the shift fork rails.
the '96 ZF5 uses a different design slave cyl if it is a genuine zf5 out of a '96.
it's the easiest way to tell that it's a ZF47 ('96&'97 model years)
supposedly a tougher trans but a ***** to get service parts for.
$850 isn't "bad", I've sold entire changeovers for $700 and had buyers waiting in reserve for the first one to fall through.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
jeez! I paid $1250 for a Zf from a 1997 F450, the pedals and the clutch slave and master.

Then I had to buy a clutch for an IDI for $150 used, had to come up with a crossmember, shorten my driveshaft (which turned into a REAL mess) and so on.

I would pay $850 if it was me!!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
The $100 ZF turned into a $250 zf by the time the deal was said and done. I just happened into that - never seen a single ZF in that yard since that day.

It was well worth it, though. I love being able to shift whenever I want. Hated the cold shifts with the VRV- seemed ******* the motor to rev that high when cold. (It worked fine when warmed up.)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I totally agree with that! My trucks eemed to come to life when I put that 5 speed in there in place of the E4OD. The fuel mileage came up about 2.5 MPG, the engine doesn't get a chance to wind out between gears unless I let it and there are no more ATF coolers and lines to leak. That and my truck LOST some weight when I stuck the ZF in there.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the input guys. I am now seriously considering putting down a deposit on it. Its nice of them to allow me to do that.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You won't regret it. I would do a SMF conversion if you have the funds and time. A new clutch kit is really worth it. I might wind up putting one in my truck this spring...she's getting to the done mark!!