Several questions,,,

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been searching,
Here's my mission, just clicked 40k , have a new set of bb's and a junior and a stroke pipe3.5", on the shelf.
When I did the bb's and junior in the 88,3" banks turbo kitt.. it would run hot ( h2o and egt) forcing a lift the throttle experiance' no beuno! It would blow past 1200 asafp on fuel.
So it looks like ( my guess) bigger pipe, intercooler, more fresh air into the turbo.
Curentley running the factory idi non turbo pipe, 093 ats kit w 3" dp
Questions
3.5 or 4" pipe?
Is the ats airbox restricting airflow with a junior?

Mels mustang ic seems to be under 1000sq"??? Common thinking seems to de we need 1000sq"???
He likes it,
I rode in idiots 6 door, it ran like a, ***** ape but ran hot omega moose and misters?
Dunno what ic he's got.
So I could go with a baby moose bb's and stock pipe, whoopie.
She pulls fine as is, however at 30 yrs old the fuel system sux at mpg's a best of 14.5 empty on the highway, 12 pulling.
So I am after mpg's fuel is back to 2.69 here today.
Cash is tight ( to manny places to spend it) where should I look?
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Cb

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im runnin a Bull Moose and misters.
1000 cfm IC
2.5" DP
and that was on a clapped out 093. but it still pushed 10 psi
my exhaust is 4.5" its actually electrical conduit,
bought it super cheap from the electrical store lol

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aweful dark in here....
No one has an opinnion???

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.5 exhaust is fine, no need to go bigger.

Sounds like you may just have too much fuel for the turbo setup you have. Could be a tired turbo or just the that the older non wg turbos don't build that much boost depending on how they're setup, age, etc. These aren't like the new rigs that will do 57 lb of boost instantly - watch the boost and fuel to match.

IC would help. PSD intercooler should give you some idea of the general size, but even a small one will help some. More a question of what you can physically fit and can afford. I run air to water which seems to work well.

Wouldn't worry too much about airflow restriction unless you have an absolute junk filter.

Your mpg isn't out of line. Good mileage is normal use IMHO is 15-18 empty, the higher end being with an od trans and 3.55 gears. 4.10 would likely be closer to the 15-16 range. My rig with a turbo, rebuilt engine, ZF5, 3.55 & 33" tires will just touch 19 doing long distance flat freeway runs... normal driving around is closer to 15-16 empty, and will drop to 10-12 towing. Not much that will make serious mpg improvement on these.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I mean if you can tap in a vacuum gauge between the filter and turbo, you could see if the stock setup is a restriction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my vote is on more air.
not to the turbo, but to the intake.
when i do my bronco, ill be using a PSD IC.
i really think that my innercooler isnt cooling enough.
the more surface area the better.
these little ones dont seem to do the job.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't sleep...
Yea brian I think you may be right ,,, the joyride we took in the 6 door ' it seemed to climb alot faster than the 88 with a junior (my only comparo on fuel) even though /innspite of the combo.
I don't like the fact the idi runs hot under load.
As near perfect as my rad is inside' it allows the temps to rise ( in my eyes) aweful fast towing hills around here ( read flatlander to a thousand ') so putting a huge restriction in front of the rad is making me think of selling the junior and going with a baby instead.
I like the idea of being able to mat the pedal at will pulling a grade and know the egt's won't go nuts.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you may just have too much fuel for the turbo setup you have. Could be a tired turbo or just the that the older non wg turbos don't build that much boost depending on how they're setup, age, etc. I run air to water which seems to work well.

Wouldn't worry too much about airflow restriction unless you have an absolute junk filter.

On The 88 , non gated banks. the pos po was no mech read change one injector( 3different codes in it when I got the rig.
it would never get egts in the 1200+ range once it got it dialed in with an unknown ip.never maxed it out.
when I swapped the junior it was real easy to blow past 1200...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you may just have too much fuel for the turbo setup you have. Could be a tired turbo or just the that the older non wg turbos don't build that much boost depending on how they're setup, age, etc. I run air to water which seems to work well.

On The 88 , non gated banks. the pos po was no mech read change one injector( it had 3 different codes in it when I got the rig.
it would never get egts in the 1200+ range once it got it dialed in with an unknown ip.never maxed it out.
when I swapped the junior it was real easy to blow past 1200...

The 93 has 40k on it , the original ip( turned up some, no idea, by the orignal owner who put the 093 on it.
It stays under 1200 at 11.5 psi at somewhere's around 220 deg h20 temps.

I did not notice if you posted in " lets talk inercoolers" any info/tech on air to water on your rig?
I like the idea.
Thanx cb

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
making me think of selling the junior and going with a baby instead.

if this is the way you go, let me know ill buy that badboy.

Ian is running a baby moose and loves it...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, we can talk later .
Slammed for the next few days.
Thanx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7